Why We Sleep, Matthew Walker

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Why We Sleep, Matthew Walker

Post by NewRon »

I've been listening to the audio version of this book and would highly recommend it for everyone who has the slightest interest in their health, let alone anyone with an APO E issue. It's an easy read/listen.

There was a post a while back about some of his research but this book brings it all together in (horrifying) detail.

Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Why We Sleep, Matthew Walker

Post by Julie G »

Agree, an eye opening book on the importance of eye closing! ;)
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

Yes, one of my stepsons gave me this book for Christmas ‘ For your issues’ he wrote on the card! It is a scary read and I haven’t taken a zopiclone since. Warning .. apparently and paradoxically, if one attaches too much importance to sleeping, it can cause anxiety and result in more difficulty. I think this has been a factor in my case. My GP says ‘ You know too much’ :lol:
frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

Post by frankiesfriend »

After reading this book, I added black-out shades to the bedroom windows and turned down the thermostat five degrees before bed. I also removed the clock from the bedroom in an effort not to stir up more concern about how many hours and minutes I have slept. These two articles may be of interest...if the links do not work, then copy/paste the url, and that should get you there:

https://www.alzforum.org/news/research- ... au-release
- More sleep may lead to less tau may lead to more sleep.

https://www.alzforum.org/news/research- ... ory-adults
- This research indicates that rocking may hasten sleep onset and deepen sleep. While we can’t rock our whole beds like they did in the study, I have found that when I awaken in the middle of the night, reading and drinking chamomile tea while rocking seems to help increase sleepiness.
E3/E4, My mother was diagnosed with AD at age 73, my age on my next birthday.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Sleep is an issue I've worked on for a long time. In addition to paying attention to getting plenty of sun and natural light, avoiding blue light (or filtering it with my filters that blood <511 nm light), eating early. What has helped sleep latency is sending love and other blessings to friends and family as I lay in bed. Others may consider this prayer, I'm not religious, but it may have the same impact - I'm thinking of others, not myself.
Tincup
E3,E4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Tincup wrote:What has helped sleep latency is sending love and other blessings to friends and family as I lay in bed. Others may consider this prayer, I'm not religious, but it may have the same impact - I'm thinking of others, not myself.
I find that thinking about, and trying to understand, how everything fits together to bring about AD, tends to put me to sleep pretty quick! :lol:
Sonoma Mike
4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:Agree, an eye opening book on the importance of eye closing! ;)
:lol:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.