Are we tackling elevated homocysteine the wrong way?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Are we tackling elevated homocysteine the wrong way?

Post by Julie G »

In a recent blog post, Chris Masterjohn makes an eloquent argument that a riboflavin deficiency may be what's provoking elevated homocysteine for those of us with some form of the MTHFR polymorphism, about 85-90% of the population. This may explain the inconsistent results many of us get when supplementing with B-12, folate and B-6. More here.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Are we tackling elevated homocysteine the wrong way?

Post by TheresaB »

No time to dive into this now, but thank you for sharing, this sounds very interesting.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

After doing the Nutreval Genova Diagnostics vitamins test last year, I realized I was severely low in B2. In fact, it explained why I was having random eye inflammations and perhaps also why I couldn't handle methylfolate (although I was also very low on magnesium). There's a diagram in the test that shows just how important B2, magnesium, and zinc are for methylation. So I've been taking B2 and magnesium every day since. There's a particular MTHFR variation that strongly benefits from taking B2 to lower homocysteine (maybe C677T++?). I was reading research on it last year. B2 is the cofactor for MTR, MTRR, MTHFR, so if you've got methylation blockages here, it makes sense to get sufficient B2.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

I saw this too. . . very interesting! Thank you for sharing here!
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy