Peter Attia podcast with Masterjohn

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Peter Attia podcast with Masterjohn

Post by Lucy5 »

Haven't listened yet, but this Peter Attia podcast with Chris Masterjohn appears to have lots of topics of interest to our community:

https://peterattiamd.com/podcast/
Podcast: Released a new episode this morning: #66 - Chris Masterjohn, Ph.D.: Navigating the many pathways to health and disease - NAD and sirtuins, methylation, MTHFR and COMT, choline deficiency and NAFLD, and more. This link takes you to an episode landing page where you can find the show notes, listen to or watch the episode, access references from the conversation, and more.

In this episode, Chris Masterjohn, entrepreneur, independent researcher and doctorate in nutrition, elucidates the latest research on the risk and benefits of NAD supplements, and shares his personal intuition on the topic. We also dive deep into choline deficiency and its role in the rising prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. From there, Chris enlightens us on the importance of methylation, a simple yet profoundly important biochemical process affecting our physical and mental health. He also describes the variations of the genes MTHFR and COMT, enzymes which play important roles in methylation and which have profound impacts on our well-being.
“People are gonna make a decision to. . . either wait 10 or 20 years until we know something better, or you take the position that you’re going to tinker. And if you’re going to tinker, you’re a lot more successful if you have a working model of what’s going on than if you don’t.” —Chris Masterjohn
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Peter Attia podcast with Masterjohn

Post by Creekside »

That was one dense podcast. His observation about people with MTHFR issues possibly doing better by upping choline goals was particularly interesting.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

I'm convinced my MTHFR / homocysteine problems are choline related.

I get homocysteine of 11.0-12.5, with a serum B12 of 450 and folate of 14. Doesn't make sense to me unless it's choline or *maybe* B6.
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

aphorist wrote:I'm convinced my MTHFR / homocysteine problems are choline related.

I get homocysteine of 11.0-12.5, with a serum B12 of 450 and folate of 14. Doesn't make sense to me unless it's choline or *maybe* B6.
I really like Chris Masterjohn's methylation protocol. I dropped my homocysteine from 10.5 to 7 last time I measured it. I use 3 mg riboflavin in supplement form, as opposed to the organ meats he recommends.