New Neuro regeneration article

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

New Neuro regeneration article

Post by mike »

This could be critical, but cause and effect - AD brains losing neurons because of poor nutrition seem unlikely to be making new cells...

I could only get the abstract

Adult hippocampal neurogenesis is abundant in neurologically healthy subjects and drops sharply in patients with Alzheimer’s disease

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-019-0375-9
The hippocampus is one of the most affected areas in Alzheimer’s disease (AD)1. Moreover, this structure hosts one of the most unique phenomena of the adult mammalian brain, namely, the addition of new neurons throughout life2. This process, called adult hippocampal neurogenesis (AHN), confers an unparalleled degree of plasticity to the entire hippocampal circuitry3,4. Nonetheless, direct evidence of AHN in humans has remained elusive. Thus, determining whether new neurons are continuously incorporated into the human dentate gyrus (DG) during physiological and pathological aging is a crucial question with outstanding therapeutic potential. By combining human brain samples obtained under tightly controlled conditions and state-of-the-art tissue processing methods, we identified thousands of immature neurons in the DG of neurologically healthy human subjects up to the ninth decade of life. These neurons exhibited variable degrees of maturation along differentiation stages of AHN. In sharp contrast, the number and maturation of these neurons progressively declined as AD advanced. These results demonstrate the persistence of AHN during both physiological and pathological aging in humans and provide evidence for impaired neurogenesis as a potentially relevant mechanism underlying memory deficits in AD that might be amenable to novel therapeutic strategies.
Edit - Did a search, and came up with a discussion about the article
https://www.sciencealert.com/new-neuron ... -years-old
The researchers also say the adult neurogenesis in AD patients looked to be negatively affected even in the early stages of the disease, before neurofibrillary tangles and senile plaques became pronounced.
With the other recent research showing reduced glucose metabolism decades prior to symptoms in AD folks, it seems like this has to be related...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
cflegal
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Neuro regeneration article

Post by cflegal »

I have been assuming/hoping that neuro regeneration is possible. The Theracurmin that I am taking is reportedly reducing my amyloid deposits and tau tangles. I am mentally envisioning this as taking a scab off of a scratch. The underlying tissue needs regeneration. And, I am glad to hear that there are so many "baby" neurons in my brain eagerly awaiting more nourishment. I hope glucose and ketones and reduced inflammation and increased blood flow and ? will do the trick.