Study of AD brain MRIs over time

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Study of AD brain MRIs over time

Post by mike »

This study shows changes in AD brains starting at age 40...

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20190 ... sease.aspx
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Study of AD brain MRIs over time

Post by Fiver »

Hi Mike. Thanks. Interesting study. Interesting to think - and this was implied in the summary article - that people can suffer "AD symptoms" before having AD. Semantics, I know. But interesting to think about.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Fiver wrote:Hi Mike. Thanks. Interesting study. Interesting to think - and this was implied in the summary article - that people can suffer "AD symptoms" before having AD. Semantics, I know. But interesting to think about.
My understanding is people are suffering physical changes - loss of neurons - prior to having "AD symptoms"
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Like building up plaque before showing signs of heart disease.

A good cardiologist I know has concluded that it's not possible to predict from blood tests or family history the scores seen for atherosclerosis on a hear calcium scan.....not with any real precision.

Interesting to think about what would be the "heart calcium scan" for detecting early AD in the brain. MRI or PET scans, I suppose. Like the study used. But heart calcium scans are ~$100. PET scans are much more expensive.

Imagine how great it would be to have something like this to measure and monitor the loss of neurons in very early AD! :)
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Fiver wrote:Interesting to think about what would be the "heart calcium scan" for detecting early AD in the brain. MRI or PET scans, I suppose. Like the study used. But heart calcium scans are ~$100. PET scans are much more expensive.

Imagine how great it would be to have something like this to measure and monitor the loss of neurons in very early AD! :)
Yes, I have to find a doctor that will order one - I need to get a baseline...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

For all the worry I should get one done also. My concerns are (a) the cost and (b) that the results will be in my records. Any idea what the cost is out-of-pocket?
DaleBru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DaleBru »

Every cardiologist seems to think he is a good one. Many or most are clueless, to be polite.

Here is an expert IMHO
https://youtu.be/prL-q29naZ0

Save your life or a loved one's life, as low as $59 at a local hospital, no doctor's order needed.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Fiver wrote:For all the worry I should get one done also. My concerns are (a) the cost and (b) that the results will be in my records. Any idea what the cost is out-of-pocket?
There is one place near me that does them, but when I called, all the lady could tell me was MRIs were $700 with contrast, $500 without, but she really didn't know much about the Neuroquant specifically...
Sonoma Mike
4/4