Exercise-Very Encouraging Study. What is your Exercise Prescription?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Exercise-Very Encouraging Study. What is your Exercise Prescription?

Post by donbob »

KatieS wrote:I'm a 66 y/o woman, life-long high intensity aerobic exerciser gradually decreasing max heart rate with age. Currently I swim outside 2-3 times a week for ~50 minutes, spin class 2-3 times week and a 30 minute on the row machine or stepper for 42 minutes. Because of chronic arthritic knees, I can no longer run and my walks are slow, limited to 3-4 miles.

My 101 y/o mom still exercises three times a week. She is a testimony to the benefits of earlier in her life of constant moving, yoga, dance classes and walking dogs. She has me beat, as I'm only walking the cat a few blocks!
The rower provides great exercise if the knees are a little “ not so young”. 101 is amazing. My mom is 96. We walk her around her house using a walker each morning. After she broke her hip three years ago, I started getting her up on her feet and putting her in a bear hug for a few steps. This started as soon as she came home from the hospital while the surgery incisions were still fresh. Now I walk backwards holding her roller walker and her care giver comes along behind. I think the record number of laps is 14 to date.

It is a daily affirmation for the value of exercise, no matter the amount. On days when I feel a little “not so young” upon arising, the morning walk with mom propels me to the fitness center. And after the workout, I always feel better. Mom at 96, still inspiring me to be my best.
DonBob
e3e4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

sarahb12 wrote:I've read there are different separate benefits with HIIT, moderate exercise and endurance excercise for BDNF and mitochondria. My guess is try to fit in all 3 to be optimal, but I have no idea of the perfect way to mix it up ...
Just do different things. I try to walk my dogs for 30-40 minutes a day in a hilly area. I also play fairly aggressive volleyball a couple times a week and see a PT to do resistance training once a week. When I was too out of shape to play the volleyball, I was doing intervals on our stationary bike. Take opportunities to exercise - take the stairs, park farther away, etc.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
NotSure
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NotSure »

Walk for a few miles to thoroughly warm up. Total all-out sprint up a slight hill for 45 seconds. At my age (71) and condition this will make me breathe like a wind-broken horse for several minutes. Walk for another mile, rest, and cool down. Repeat the entire cycle (actually another whole lap) one more time. So why do I do this? It seems to induce a "runner's high" and I feel great the rest of the day. Other than that, haven't noticed any great benefits. Maybe a small increase in running speed although nothing like it was in high school. :-( Oh yeah and do this 2 or 3 times a week or just rest if you feel lazy - which is often the case.

NotSure
4/4
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

Female, 67 years old. I've been doing 4 to 5 CrossFit sessions per week since 2013. I've modified some of the exercises in the last year to minimize the risk of arthritis (e.g., rowing or cycling instead of running; stepping up onto boxes instead of jumping up). On recovery days, I do mobility work and sometimes yoga. On most days, I add a 30 minute dog walk. Four days per week, I do a 20-minute sauna session after my CrossFit workout.
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donbob »

Motivates me to get hot on my sauna plans.
DonBob
e3e4
BGTex
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BGTex »

donbob wrote:Motivates me to get hot on my sauna plans.
For 40+ years, I have very consistently taken extremely hot baths, to the point I am dripping with sweat in the bathtub. I have just always really enjoyed it. Now that there has been so many studies and news on the benefits of the sauna, I wonder if all these years of hot baths have provided any of those benefits. Even if there are no such benefits, I enjoy it lots, which is a huge benefit.
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donbob »

BGTex wrote:
donbob wrote:Motivates me to get hot on my sauna plans.
For 40+ years, I have very consistently taken extremely hot baths, to the point I am dripping with sweat in the bathtub. I have just always really enjoyed it. Now that there has been so many studies and news on the benefits of the sauna, I wonder if all these years of hot baths have provided any of those benefits. Even if there are no such benefits, I enjoy it lots, which is a huge benefit.
I lived in Japan for three years. Outrageously hot baths were the norm. Our 'o furo' was wood fired. We came out looking like boiled lobsters. Definitely good for sleep and probably healthy also.
DonBob
e3e4
Michae_M
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michae_M »

Thank you for your many inspiring responses.

I hope all of you have had a wonderful summer and have had a chance to enjoy your many inspiring workout efforts.

Best wishes to all of you and let keep going this fall.

Michael_M
broiler_x
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by broiler_x »

Great to hear what everyone is doing. Keep up the good work!

Male, 51, E4/E4. 45 minutes every day on an elliptical in Zone 2 (heart rate around 130). 70 pushups every day and dumbells 3 times a week. I also track my steps and I'm averaging over 17k/day for this year. I've always been into exercise - long before I found out my ApoE status. I've just upped it a little after I found out.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Just an idea for those of you who walk. Since moving to flat earth, I can't get my heart rate up by just walking. Sprinting intervals make my knees ache, but I've found I can skip. So, I walk some, skip some, and who cares what the new neighbors think. Will give them something to talk about. :lol: