Not a Statin fan, but interesting research

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Not a Statin fan, but interesting research

Post by mike »

Statins taken within 90 days of a concussion in older individuals seems to reduce the risk of dementia about 16%

https://www.medpagetoday.com/neurology/ ... DHE_Random
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Not a Statin fan, but interesting research

Post by Fiver »

I see you got lots of reads but few replies. Here's my $0.02.

For my part, I've concluded, based on available evidence, that statins neither increase or decrease the risk of AD significantly.

I know others might disagree but I haven't seen data indicating it increases risks. I figure that if statins significantly increased AD, we'd have noticed a big jump soon after statins were introduced. Evidence indicates that any brain fog they may or may not cause is unrelated to AD. My primary concern would be that is can sometimes cause muscle pain and reduce the tendency for people to exercise. The evidence I've seen seems to indicate no benefit or a small benefit, most likely indirect, accumulated over many years, and probably related to improved cardiovascular health and brain blood flow. They also seem to have some anti-inflammatory properties, which might be helpful.

So I'm open to learning more about them when new research comes out. They saw a relatively small, but interesting, benefit - which is about what I might have guessed.

I wonder how they might work as a part of a larger treatment plan.

Thanks much for sharing!