Gene mutation evolved to cope with modern high-sugar diets

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Gene mutation evolved to cope with modern high-sugar diets

Post by BrianR »

Genetic diversity of CHC22 clathrin impacts its function in glucose metabolism
https://elifesciences.org/articles/41517 [open access]
eLife 2019;8:e41517
DOI: 10.7554/eLife.41517

The Science Daily interpretation "Gene mutation evolved to cope with modern high-sugar diets" is here:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 084857.htm

I wasn't able to find the CLTCL1 variant information in my genetic reports.

Abstract & Digest from eLife paper:
Abstract
CHC22 clathrin plays a key role in intracellular membrane traffic of the insulin-responsive glucose transporter GLUT4 in humans. We performed population genetic and phylogenetic analyses of the CHC22-encoding CLTCL1 gene, revealing independent gene loss in at least two vertebrate lineages, after arising from gene duplication. All vertebrates retained the paralogous CLTC gene encoding CHC17 clathrin, which mediates endocytosis. For vertebrates retaining CLTCL1, strong evidence for purifying selection supports CHC22 functionality. All human populations maintained two high frequency CLTCL1 allelic variants, encoding either methionine or valine at position 1316. Functional studies indicated that CHC22-V1316, which is more frequent in farming populations than in hunter-gatherers, has different cellular dynamics than M1316-CHC22 and is less effective at controlling GLUT4 membrane traffic, altering its insulin-regulated response. These analyses suggest that ancestral human dietary change influenced selection of allotypes that affect CHC22’s role in metabolism and have potential to differentially influence the human insulin response.

eLife digest
When we eat carbohydrates, they are digested into sugars that circulate in the blood to provide energy for the brain and other parts of the body. But too much blood sugar can be poisonous. The body regulates blood sugar balance using the hormone insulin, which triggers the removal of sugar from the blood into muscle and fat cells. This removal process involves a pore in membranes at the surface of muscle and fat tissue, called a glucose transporter, through which the sugar molecules can pass. During fasting, the glucose transporter remains inside muscle and fat. But after a meal, insulin acts to release the transporter from its storage area to the surface of the tissue. How efficiently this process happens reflects how efficiently sugar can be removed from the blood. When this pathway breaks down, it can lead to diabetes.

In humans, a protein called CHC22 is needed to deliver the glucose transporter to its storage area. In mice, CHC22 is absent. The question arises: do different animals' eating habits influence CHC22's role in controlling blood sugar? The evolutionary history of CHC22 in a number of different animals could reveal what is special about glucose transport after a meal in humans, and how it might fail in diabetes.

By analyzing the genomes of several different species, Fumagalli et al. found that the gene encoding CHC22 first evolved around the time animals began developing a backbone and complex nervous systems. Afterwards, it was lost by some animals – including mice, sheep and pigs. Fumagalli et al. also discovered that CHC22 varies between individual people. A new form of CHC22, which first appeared in ancient humans, is less effective at holding the glucose transporter inside muscle and fat – leading to a tendency to reduce blood sugar levels. This new form became more common in humans over a period witnessing the introduction of cooking, and later farming; both of these technologies are associated with increased sugar in the diet. But not everyone has this new variant of the gene – both the old and newer variants are present in people today.

The history of CHC22 suggests that it was useful for early humans to hold the glucose transporter inside muscle and fat, keeping blood sugar levels high, which contributed to the development of a large brain. But as humans became exposed to higher dietary levels of sugar the newer form of CHC22 allowed blood sugar to be lowered more readily. People with different forms of CHC22 are likely to differ in their ability to control blood sugar after a meal. In some cases, this could lead to heightened blood sugar levels, which in turn can lead to diabetes.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Gene mutation evolved to cope with modern high-sugar diets

Post by SusanJ »

BrianR wrote:I wasn't able to find the CLTCL1 variant information in my genetic reports.
Snpedia says its rs1061325 and it is available in my 23andme report. I'm a C/T so it (along with who knows what other snps) might help explain some issues I have with a high fat diet. I seem to need more carbs to feel my best than many others here.

According to Snpedia, C is the "farmer" variant whereas T is the "hunter-gatherer" variant.

Here's another explanation from DietDoctor.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

SusanJ wrote:Snpedia says its rs1061325 and it is available in my 23andme report. I'm a C/T so it (along with who knows what other snps) might help explain some issues I have with a high fat diet. I seem to need more carbs to feel my best than many others here.

According to Snpedia, C is the "farmer" variant whereas T is the "hunter-gatherer" variant.

Thanks Susan! Rs1061325 didn't show up in my Promethease report, but I did find it in the 23andMe text file. (I'm also CT)
antimatter37
Contributor
Contributor

Post by antimatter37 »

Interesting discussion! I have been a carb "fiend" my entire life, and just looked up my data on 23andme to discover I am a C/C. I guess that makes me a hyper-farmer.

I have participated in very low-carb diets previously, resulting in significant weight loss but massive increases in total cholesterol (170 - 300). My primary care physician pleaded with me to discontinue with the low-carb diet, and I complied. Not sure if this type of cholesterol response is related to rs1061325. Also, on either low-carb or high-carb diets, my blood sugar realins within normal limits.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

I'm a T/T which probably explains why LCHF works for me.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
swanlzs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by swanlzs »

Wow - this is fascinating. I just found the original post when doing some research on something else. I was wondering if APOE4.info had anything and found this thread. I am a C/C and now feel sooooo much better about my carb eating. My carbs are 90+% whole grains with very little sugar. I probably eat 40-50% fat, 15% protein - rest carbs. I have felt great on this diet. I am just not that fond of lots of meat - maybe 1-2x/week, tho' I do like fish. Markers great - fasting insulin is ~3.9 (normal 1.9-23), HDL 84, tG 87, TC 189. FBG -95 (it's been this level on glucose for 20+ yrs). I would be interested in how the Bredesen protocol handles this info. I am an APOE 3/4.

I'm feeling good about this and hope I'm on the right track.
E3/E4
Still working full time at 67
TelopeaBlue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TelopeaBlue »

SusanJ wrote:
BrianR wrote:I wasn't able to find the CLTCL1 variant information in my genetic reports.
Snpedia says its rs1061325 and it is available in my 23andme report. I'm a C/T so it (along with who knows what other snps) might help explain some issues I have with a high fat diet. I seem to need more carbs to feel my best than many others here.

Thanks SusanJ for both the SNP and the link to Diet Doctor. I'll add my data point - I'm C/T and do well with carbs.
Torimintz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Torimintz »

So, I too have a C/T

I always feel good with a healthy amount of dense carbs. High fat low carb is not fun for me and after I lost my weight I switched back to more carbs and feel awesome.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

ru442 wrote:I'm a T/T which probably explains why LCHF works for me.
Me too, but I've found that lower carb, higher fat plus higher protein -- rather than low carb, low protein and hiiiigh fat -- works best for me and I can still stay in low levels of ketosis, .5 - 1.0+.

Wow, I just checked my parents data and both are T/T, so my whole immediate family is T/T. I need to understand the mechanisms betters though. I'm not sure how we feel on a given diet is necessarily dependent on one glucose transporter in our muscle, but having T/T while absent diabetes but with insulin resistance and apoe4 ... hmmm, may reinforce what I'm doing.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.