There Is No Best Diet

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

There Is No Best Diet

Post by NewRon »

Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: There Is No Best Diet

Post by apod »

Three kinds of muffins were on the menu: a high-fat, low-sugar muffin
...wait what? A high-fat muffin?

If the study was looking to determine which diet was the "best diet" based on postprandial glucose readings, then an omnivorous ketogenic diet would produce similar results across the entire cohort and maximize this supposed healthfulness metric. I would imagine that the postprandial glucose variation between twins eating something like eggs and macadamia nuts for breakfast would be minimal.

Interestingly, looking at their PREDICT 2 study (https://predict.study), they're offering to help participants find their optimal diets... while testing individuals on a selection of vegetarian foods, which may include dairy, gluten, refined carbohydrates, and sugar.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I've been tracking my glucose response to foods for over a year now and have found it very beneficial.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

apod wrote:...wait what? A high-fat muffin?
Sure, just google "keto muffin"
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

BrianR wrote:
apod wrote:...wait what? A high-fat muffin?
Sure, just google "keto muffin"
It's still not quite clear to me if these were keto-friendly muffins, or muffins with additional fat (which might require more insulin to attenuate the glucose spike.) If these were ketogenic foods, the blood sugar testing is sort of moot point as you can't really eat lower-GI foods than minimal-GI foods.

Searching High-fat muffin on pubmed brings up trials like this one, where it seems like it's a typical muffin, but with a lot of extra fat:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01906359

I'm curious how they might have worked to avoid situational variance between individuals. My glucose reaction to carbohydrates is substantially different after say, stress / low-quality sleep vs exercise. And, if someone has a high post-prandial response to a particular food, does that not change with continued ingestion and gut microbiome / enzymatic adaptation?
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

apod wrote:Searching High-fat muffin on pubmed brings up trials like this one, where it seems like it's a typical muffin, but with a lot of extra fat
Ah, yes. You're right, that's a totally different thing. And probably not a health promoting thing.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60