Higher phosphatidylcholine protects against dementia

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Higher phosphatidylcholine protects against dementia

Post by Tincup »

sunrise wrote: I have been doing methylated B vitiamins, and a host of other supplements suggested by Drs Perlmutter, Bredesen, Gundry, and Amen; as well as Max Lugavere recommendations. I think all together it was just too much. What seemed the course with one, was not necessarily the same with the others.
I'd start with the commonalities - fixing metabolism, exercise, sleep and like that. They are core to everything. Then go from there.

When some of our community have gotten together in person in early years, while we all do different things, when looked at from 30,000', we are basically very similar and very different than the average person in society.
Tincup
E3,E4
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

It seems a shame to miss the opportunity to obtain a fish based phosphatidylcholine that has an Omega 3 attached to it, preferably DHA. Krill oil is too expensive and it carries little Omega 3's, squid oil would be best as the ratio of EPA : DHA is 1:3.5, and the Omega 3's content is above 50%. Any fish roe is also very good for PC.
MoJoe
sunrise
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sunrise »

Hello Floramaria,
thank you for your response. i do meditation/hypnosis and will look into Qigong. For my piece of mind i am seeing my fn med doc to get some direction. I haVe found there are more variables than just the apoe4 status that play into outcomes. I dont want to guess anymore.
Take good care of yourself.
Arlene
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

floramaria wrote:Hi sunrise!
I'm quoting you because Sunrise mentioned you in the above post without quotes and I know folks can miss a post directed at them if not quoted.
sunrise wrote:Hello Floramaria,
thank you for your response.
Sunrise, I realize you're new and this site isn't exactly the most intuitive, so I thought I'd tell you about the wiki article we have on "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website, it includes a discussion on how to quote a person. Why? "It triggers an email to the forum member that you are quoting and gives that person a link to log on and open the ApoE4.info website right to your comment."
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

See "Quantitative and Comparative Investigation of Plasmalogen
Species in Daily Foodstuffs". Published January 2021. Its a free article.
It is difficult to reproduce the charts here but for Plasmalogen phosphatidylethanolamine squid is the clear winner. Plasmalogen Phosphatidylcholine is more heavily favoured in the meats. Definitely worthy of a read if you are seeking plasmalogens and extra choline from food.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Here's the paper if anyone wants to read it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7827193/
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

MoJoe wrote:Definitely worthy of a read if you are seeking plasmalogens and extra choline from food.
According to Dr. Dayan Goodenowe, plasmalogen does not survive digestion. Our own cells must synthesize it in the peroxisome and the endoplasmic reticulum organelles. As we age, peroxisomal function deteriorates, and we make less plasmalogen.

To address this age-related deterioration, Goodenowe developed a plasmalogen precursor food that exits the digestive tract as a molecule that the endoplasmic reticulum readily metabolizes to plasmalogen.

He has recorded a number of presentations that explain his research, development, and products for lay audiences. I think this is a good entry point.
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

Thanks Marc
I would beg to respectfully differ with Dr Goodenowe. Something is certainly happening after taking the plasmalogens, both with the Japanese recipients and our own product. Dr Goodenowe even acknowledges in one of his articles that oral ingestion of plasmalogens does have an effect. The issues with digestion are many, is the capsule enteric, does the capsule contain piperine, is the recipient taking grapefruit juice, is the capsule taken with or without food etc.
As I have written before, I am confused about dosage, the Japanese scallop product contains just 0.5 mg of plasmalogens per capsule, ours around 10 times that. When I wrote to Prodrome they advised me that their product basically converted the equivalent of each days oil ingestion into plasmalogens, but didn't specify what type of plasmalogen. As Prodrome's recommended daily oil intake is 900 mgs then I would presume 900 mgs of plasmalogens are produced. This is a huge variation in the daily dose of plasmalogens, Neuroregain suggests two capsules a day are sufficient, and in their Q and A suggest any more is not advantageous.
Every new day will bring us closer to the truth.
MoJoe
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Thanks for the explanation, MoJoe. I can see that this issue is complex and that there are open questions that will require time to answer.

I think you make a good point about the large dosage differences and the uncertain comparative dose relationships among plasmalogen supplements with varying enteric support strategies and plasmalogen precursor oil. It's not obvious to me that massive dosage differences are meaningful since the substances and subsequent biochemical paths are different.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

MoJoe wrote: Every new day will bring us closer to the truth.
MoJoe
One can only hope. Thanks for sticking to these questions and concerns Mojoe, the more I learn, the less I know and the less inclined I am to believe a good case presented about anything. I’m saving a lot of money across the board with my skepticism, which also simplifies my protocol, reduces my financial fears, and I think positively affects my brain health overall. *So far* I’m holding out for a relatively cost effective solution for the “masses” here.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.