Higher phosphatidylcholine protects against dementia

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Higher phosphatidylcholine protects against dementia

Post by Julie G »

MagicBean wrote:Interesting! I ran my genetic results through Masterjohn's application which said I need to be eating 8 egg yolks a day (I currently eat zero). But I also recently found out I have very high LDL and LDL particle count and according to this source, "choline-deficient individuals also show reduced blood concentrations of LDL-cholesterol." https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/other-nutrients/choline

So even though my genes may point to a potential issue, perhaps it's not an actual issue for me after all?
Hi MagicBean! I think it's a stretch to extrapolate that because your cholesterol is high, you needn't be concerned with your fairly high genetic requirement for choline. Here's an NIH fact sheet that covers specific groups that are susceptible for a choline deficiency. You'll note that It even dives into the fact that "people with certain genetic alterations" are at risk. If you're concerned with brain health, this is one nutrient that I'd be very hesitant to be relaxed about. Choline stimulates production of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter essential for memory. If you're opposed to eggs, there are excellent choline and phosphatidylcholine supplements that you can take instead.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

7 for me.... that's a lotta eggs!
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
MagicBean
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MagicBean »

Last edited by MagicBean on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

Thanks for sharing the link Julie! I evidently require the equivalence of 5 egg yolks per day. I typically get 1-2 but I do eat salmon, meat, fish, almonds and take phosphatidylcholine in supplement form. I started using phosphatidylcholine when I cut out egg yolk consumption just to make sure I'm getting adequate amounts of choline. It looks like I'm covering my bases pretty well so it may be time to cut out the supplementation.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Can't think of them off the top of my weary brain, but we have another thread about choline and I think we mention PEMT plus two other SNPs affecting choline that aren't included in his calculator. I recall I am a homozygous freak on all three. Anyone remember that and have the bandwidth to pull it up?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

circular wrote:Can't think of them off the top of my weary brain, but we have another thread about choline and I think we mention PEMT plus two other SNPs affecting choline that aren't included in his calculator. I recall I am a homozygous freak on all three. Anyone remember that and have the bandwidth to pull it up?
Here it is, includes FADS1 and MTRR from Rhonda Patrick's report:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4905&hilit=pemt&start=10#p56327
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Wow - I need 8 eggs. Thanks for sharing this!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
BGTex
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BGTex »

"According to my calculations you should eat the amount of choline available per day in 9 egg yolks or equivalents (see below)."

"Your Methylfolate Score: 89% decrease"
Last edited by BGTex on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGTex
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BGTex »

MagicBean wrote:
Julie G wrote: Hi MagicBean! I think it's a stretch to extrapolate that because your cholesterol is high, you needn't be concerned with your fairly high genetic requirement for choline. Here's an NIH fact sheet that covers specific groups that are susceptible for a choline deficiency. You'll note that It even dives into the fact that "people with certain genetic alterations" are at risk. If you're concerned with brain health, this is one nutrient that I'd be very hesitant to be relaxed about. Choline stimulates production of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter essential for memory. If you're opposed to eggs, there are excellent choline and phosphatidylcholine supplements that you can take instead.
I love eggs! But am waiting to find out about any cholesterol hyperabsorption issues. Hoping to get the all-clear to continue eating them, although 8 a day is just not going to happen! :o Thank you for the information and suggestions!
You remind me of me. My cholesterol will shoot up quickly if I eat high saturated fat. My run at the paleo diet a decade ago ended when my ldl went over 230 in a few weeks.

It's all such a tough puzzle. This thing has me needing 9 eggs per day, yet I'm predisposed to high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes. It's a tough road to navigate!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:...PEMT plus two other SNPs affecting choline that aren't included in his calculator.
PEMT was on my output.

Is this the thread you are thinking of: https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... ine#p55866

or this: https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... ine#p16455
Tincup
E3,E4