apoe4, breast cancer and sleep apnea.

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

apoe4, breast cancer and sleep apnea.

Post by hairyfairy »

I read recently that apoe4 increases the risk of sleep apnea and also breast cancer, as if we didn`t already have enough health risks to contend with! why would this be?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: apoe4, breast cancer and sleep apnea.

Post by TheresaB »

hairyfairy wrote:I read recently that apoe4 increases the risk of sleep apnea and also breast cancer, as if we didn`t already have enough health risks to contend with! why would this be?
I've heard the sleep apnea connection before from sleep expert Mathew Walker, PhD, but not the breast cancer association. Could you please post this study, I'd like to read how this was determined and the strength of the connection, often correlation is not causation.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Back in 2014, I posted on sleep apnea's correlation with Apoe4 (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=366&p=2999#p2999). They discovered that those with Apoe4 were thinner, not the typical body type associated with sleep apnea. Dr. Bredesen mentions on his cognoscopy list to rule out sleep apnea. For me, treatment has eliminated late afternoon tiredness and sleeping wake-ups. Treatment per the NYU study seem to forestall AD 5 years, but it wasn't clear to me that the white matter deficits were reversed.

Sleep apnea elevates cancer risks, but this might be easily skewed as both are associated with obesity. I haven't seen Apoe4 separately linked to breast cancer.
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

I can`t find the article to post it.