Thiamin and protein folding

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
zc_hl
Contributor
Contributor

Thiamin and protein folding

Post by zc_hl »

Thiamin and protein folding (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31371089):

"Thiamin (vitamin B1) is an essential nutrient, indispensable for normal growth and development due to its multilateral participation in key biochemical and physiological processes. Thiamin deficiency (TD) can result from inadequate intake, increased requirement, excessive deletion, high calorie malnutrition and chronic alcohol consumption.
TD affects multiple organ systems including the cardiovascular, muscular, gastrointestinal, and the central and peripheral nervous systems.
In the brain, TD causes a cascade of events including mild impairment of oxidative metabolism, neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration, observed in Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and Huntington’s disease. It has been proposed that it is the interplay of oxidative stress, endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress and autophagy in the brain that contribute to the pathogenesis of various neurodegenerative diseases"
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Thiamin and protein folding

Post by Kenny4/4 »

Agreed! Another piece of the puzzle. Alcoholics are highly susceptible to a form of dementia from vitamin B1 deficiency. We can’t help but think that others deficient in B1 are increasing their dementia risk.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Kenny4/4 wrote:Agreed! Another piece of the puzzle. Alcoholics are highly susceptible to a form of dementia from vitamin B1 deficiency. We can’t help but think that others deficient in B1 are increasing their dementia risk.
I used to take Benfotiamine. It’s supposed to be a special form of it but it’s pretty expensive for thiamine. When I learned how high Brewers Yeast is in thiamine and other nutrients, I quit the Benfotiamine and gave a bottle of BY a home in my counter for daily use, usually in salads and over my breakfast plate and cooked vegetables.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
zc_hl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by zc_hl »

circular wrote:
Kenny4/4 wrote:Agreed! Another piece of the puzzle. Alcoholics are highly susceptible to a form of dementia from vitamin B1 deficiency. We can’t help but think that others deficient in B1 are increasing their dementia risk.
I used to take Benfotiamine. It’s supposed to be a special form of it but it’s pretty expensive for thiamine. When I learned how high Brewers Yeast is in thiamine and other nutrients, I quit the Benfotiamine and gave a bottle of BY a home in my counter for daily use, usually in salads and over my breakfast plate and cooked vegetables.
Do you have more energy when taking vitamin B1? And did your fatigue increase at first?
Last edited by zc_hl on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

zc_hl wrote:
circular wrote:
Do you have more energy when taking vitamin B1? And did you fatigue increased at first?
I did do a lab test for it originally at Life Extension. I remember laboring over the high price of it, since I think it was one of the labs Dr. Bredesen recommended (still does?). I went ahead and found I was at the very low end of the range, and that's when I started. I do like to supplement things I've discovered I may be deficient or non-optimal in as much as possible, rather than making assumptions, but sometimes it's a crapshot when there's no lab test or it costs too much.

Then when I started taking B1 (can't recall if the first version was Benfotiamine or not), I really seemed to get more energy pretty much within a day or few. This, along with optimizing meopausal hormones, was one of the rare supplements where I thought, wow, that made a difference. I was still coming out of years of chronic fatique and a very reactive, inflammatory state. Recently, since stopping it and switching to Brewer's Yeast (not a measured dose or anything), I haven't noticed a decline in energy I don't think, but I'm healthier overall and perhaps replenished my stores and am maintaining on diet and BW?
zc_hl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by zc_hl »

Thanks for sharing your experience with it :)
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Eat a clove of garlic a day, or several cloves. Garlic contains highly absorbable allithiamine (B1). Allithiamine is 20 times better absorbed in the brain than any other form of thiamine supposedly. B1 needs calcium, magnesium, cobalt and manganese to make it useable in the body. Low B1 impairs a bunch of other Bs.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Plumster wrote:Eat a clove of garlic a day, or several cloves. Garlic contains highly absorbable allithiamine (B1). Allithiamine is 20 times better absorbed in the brain than any other form of thiamine supposedly. B1 needs calcium, magnesium, cobalt and manganese to make it useable in the body. Low B1 impairs a bunch of other Bs.
I can't eat much garlic, and googling doesn't turn up other natural sources, but there's a synthetic version. It appears to be fat soluble, so maybe best to eat it with fats.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I've gone back and forth on B1 supplementation myself. I've read that polyphenols lower B1 and low-carb diets tend to be lower in B1. So, I think it makes a lot of sense on paper. What are the thoughts on TKL1 activation and potential cancer risk?
zc_hl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by zc_hl »

apod wrote:I've gone back and forth on B1 supplementation myself. I've read that polyphenols lower B1 and low-carb diets tend to be lower in B1. So, I think it makes a lot of sense on paper. What are the thoughts on TKL1 activation and potential cancer risk?
I have read that organs (liver, heart and kidneys) are good sources of thiamine. Meat should also be one. B1 is involved in the carb metabolism so you may need less if you are low carb.

Regarding cancer, B1 seems to be essential to cells for proper oxidative metabolism (which is impaired in cancer, and as some consider could be a cause). Yet, there are reports that B1 could promote cancer (depends on the person, could be if cells are not uptaking the B1).