If you use a device running an Android version prior to 7.1.1, beginning January 11 your access from that device to this site and many others will be impaired. For details and solutions, see this topic.

Brain on a chip to model complexity of AD (or attempt I suppose)

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Brain on a chip to model complexity of AD (or attempt I suppose)

Postby Jmac » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:07 am

In my humble opinion, this one seems rather far out there, but who knows?

First paragraph: The complexity of Alzheimer's disease, which affects many types of cells in the brain including its blood vessels, has proven difficult to recreate in the lab. With a new $5.6 million, five-year grant from the National Institutes of Health, MIT neuroscientists at The Picower Institute for Learning and Memory will develop a multicellular integrated "brain-on-a-chip" to model the disease's complexity with novel technologies, providing a powerful testbed for personalized disease and treatment research. https://phys.org/wire-news/331556145/mit-sets-out-to-model-alzheimers-disease-complexity-on-a-chip.html

The smart ass part of me wants to ask if they will serve dip with that chip? OK, yes, I need my first cup of caffeine. :-)

Saskia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Brain on a chip to model complexity of AD (or attempt I suppose)

Postby Saskia » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:25 pm

Wow! I think the enthusiastic scientist in me is more triggered than the hopeful patient is though. I would expect that getting the methodology set up right with all the variables will take much more time and money than projected but who knows - and if such a thing ever did work they could research at scale.
Hope the dip is carb free ;)
45 years old, E4/E4 and strangely no AD in (large) family. Mother (73 yo) E4/E4, father (87 yo) E4/E3, both symptom free. Recently started 16h fasts, taking resveratrol/B12/curcumin/krill oil/folic acid. Working on minimizing sugar & refined carbs

mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Brain on a chip to model complexity of AD (or attempt I suppose)

Postby mike » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:21 pm

I like that they are starting with the BBB - this seems likely to key. How does E3 help the BBB protect against the high glucose levels associated with eating carbs?
Sonoma Mike
4/4

Return to “Science and Research”