New paper implicating microglia in AD

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
broiler_x
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

New paper implicating microglia in AD

Post by broiler_x »

Having worked on AD research at previous biotech companies, I have for many years suspected that microglial cells are at the heart of the disease. Now there is a new paper shedding more light on this idea, and also providing a possible way to prevent the disease, even in ApoE4 individuals!

Original paper:
http://jem.rupress.org/content/early/20 ... m.20190980

Nice article summarizing the paper:
https://www.biospace.com/article/more-r ... s-disease/

From the article:
"They then focused on the gene APOE, which has been linked to Alzheimer’s disease. Individuals with the APOE4 variant are 12 times more likely to develop Alzheimer’s compared to people with other variants. The scientific team modified the mice to carry the human APOE4 variant or no APOE gene. APOE4 was previously shown to amplify the toxic effects of tau on neurons.

They then fed the mice a compound that depletes microglia in the brain. Other mice were fed a placebo. At nine-and-a-half months, the brains of mice with tau tangles and the high-risk genetic variant had significantly smaller brains as long as the microglia were present. But when the microglia were eliminated, the mouse brains were basically normal and healthy with less evidence of abnormal tau tangles, even with the EPOE4 variant."
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New paper implicating microglia in AD

Post by cdamaden »

broiler_x wrote:and also providing a possible way to prevent the disease, even in ApoE4 individuals!

Thanks, Boiller,
This paper from 2018 suggests there are herbal methods that could be followed to prevent "excessive microglial activation":
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jir/2018/9348046/

I've recently started taking a higher dose resveratrol with favorable results. This looks like yet another reason to do so.
Chris
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

cdamaden wrote:I've recently started taking a higher dose resveratrol with favorable results. This looks like yet another reason to do so.
Chris
What dose are you taking? I keep thinking I'm going to up mine. I'm taking 500 mg, was thinking about doubling, taking one in the morning, one around lunch.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

David Sinclair takes 1000 mg a day I believe.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Vikingman wrote:David Sinclair takes 1000 mg a day I believe.
I'm thinking it's 1000 mg resveratrol as well. Here's a Peter Attia Podcast with Dr Sinclair with discussion of resveratrol.
Slacker
E4/E4
Flo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Flo »

Vikingman wrote:David Sinclair takes 1000 mg a day I believe.
Hi Vikingman and welcome to the forum!

I hope that you are gaining valuable information from the site - you certainly seem to be following things closely!
It would be great to know a bit more about you and what brought you here - please feel free to add your story to the "Our Stories" forum, we'd love t get to know you better!
In case you haven't found it yet, here's a link to the primer, written by a member physician.
And should you decide to use the website more, the "how-to" guide can be of great help.

Warm regards
Flo
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

Jmac wrote: What dose are you taking? I keep thinking I'm going to up mine. I'm taking 500 mg, was thinking about doubling, taking one in the morning, one around lunch.
I'm taking 500 mg of trans-resveratrol extract with 10 mg of bioperine twice a day with my meals. I did have a few flighty moments recently and am going to cycle on and off to ensure that this product isn't causing any issues.
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

cdamaden wrote:I'm taking 500 mg of trans-resveratrol extract with 10 mg of bioperine twice a day with my meals. I did have a few flighty moments recently and am going to cycle on and off to ensure that this product isn't causing any issues.
Thanks! I started doubling yesterday...we will see if I get any bump or see any negatives. I started cycling ALL of my supplements about a week or so ago. I was cycling some but when I started keeping up with everything in Cronometer I found I was way high in some areas --- plus I keep seeing/hearing conflicting info on which ones to cycle so said, what the heck, I'll just skip 'em all a couple of days a week.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

I started taking 1000 milligrams in the morning with a little yogurt to dissolve it. I also am taking 1 gram of NMN. Same as David Sinclair. It was not until I had been doing this for two weeks that I found out the I had the double APOE-E4. I am also taking 1 gram of Berberine help keep blood sugar down low. Vitamin D & K, a baby aspirin and B-12. I have no idea if any of that helps prevent AD but my intention is to find out what does. I will do all I can to avoid it. Life has taken on a deeper meaning since I found out a couple days ago.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

Rhonda Patrick's latest on NAD , NMN and NR https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/nad-nr-nmn