study: Tb vaccine lowers AD risk.

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
karelena
Contributor
Contributor

Re: study: Tb vaccine lowers AD risk.

Post by karelena »

J11 wrote:Those are both very imaginative answers.
Sometimes it is not so much the right answer that is as interesting as other possible responses.

I was going to give the hint The City of Angels in my last post thought that would have given away the answer right away.
Is the answer membrane plasmalogens? But what does that have to do with BCG vaccine?????

If I google MPLA, it is a movement to liberate Angola. :)
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Oh, yes, Google free association.
What would Freud say?

3-O-desacyl-4′-monophosphoryl lipid A (MPLA; TLR4)!
The adjuvant in the TB vaccine!

I shouldn't be so harsh, as riddles always stumped me too.
I have struggled with theory of mind issues.
Typically, when people ask me what I am thinking about and I answer them
honestly they are quite astonished. That's why I talk mostly about the weather;
less surprises: Sun rises tomorrow, further updates to follow.

Research has found that MPLA is a powerful anti-dementing agent.
A family member was able to receive a dose by being vaccinated with Cervarix.
I think a hay fever vaccine also uses MPLA.
karelena
Contributor
Contributor

Post by karelena »

J11 wrote:
Research has found that MPLA is a powerful anti-dementing agent.
A family member was able to receive a dose by being vaccinated with Cervarix.
I think a hay fever vaccine also uses MPLA.

The new Shingrix vaccine for adults over 50 who have had chicken pox also has MPLA according to the CDC. The old vaccine was live attenuated virus so contraindicated for people who may be around immunocompromised people such as healthcare workers. The new vaccine is recombinant and just a protein. Might be something to consider, and also it would prevent shingles.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/conce ... vants.html

I don't mind being teased too much and riddles can be entertaining. By the way, was it the cinnamon in the apple pie that helped with blood sugar?
K
karelena
Contributor
Contributor

Post by karelena »

There are a lot of articles about the adjuvant MPLA and Alzheimer's. Here's one:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3562771/
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Good one Karelena.
Yes, it was the cinnamon.
They removed everything and that was all that was left.

It wasn't teasing so much as my own repressed sense of frustration with riddles.
Riddles are tough because the person who is posing the problem has all the
points of reference for everything to fit together, while those trying to solve the
riddle often have none of these points of reference. Admittedly,
3-O-desacyl-4′-monophosphoryl lipid A (MPLa) is usually
not on the tips of the tongues of many people.

Great citation on MPLa!
Yes, I think that was probably the first big article that linked MPLa to Alzheimer's.
It is somewhat humorous how many times it is the cinnamon that is the active ingredient.
Scientists work away hard in the lab and then the answer springs up from an unlikely direction.

Methylene blue surely is in that category.
MB predates the FDA and it appears to be a very powerful anti-dementing agent especially in the reduced form.
It seems to be directly targeting the main driving pathology of Alzheimer's tau.
Combining an anti-amyloid (e.g., aducan) with MB (if it did not interfere) could produce a very powerful treatment effect.
As it is now MB is trying to push back tau all the while that it continues to form as seen in the tau imaging (see the aducan celebration thread for the tau scans from the aducan phase 3s). aducan can stop and reverse tau neuropathology which should allow MB enhanced treatment opportunity.

I looked around online, MPLa is an FDA approved drug and it is available through chemical stores. I wonder what the potential is to actually access this product? MPLa as an adjuvant needs to be super safe, so it has been in development for many decades. The irony is that a super safe treatment such as that is less generally available than other marketed dementing treatments that are neither safe nor effective. The 50 microgram doses of MPLa found in most human vaccines is the same dose used in mice. To be equivalent, dose might need to scale up a hundred fold or more for humans.
lumia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lumia »

I have been vaccinated for BCG; it is in the vaccination program of my country. It's not administered in the bladder, but in the upper arm like any other vaccine. I would say it's a rather active vaccine; it causes a scab like the chickenpox vaccine.
karelena
Contributor
Contributor

Post by karelena »

I just read this about BCG and covid. I knew it was being studied. This paper uses results of covid 19 mortality rates only up until April 22. I think the death rate is rising in countries with universal BCG vaccinations in more recent months :(
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020 ... 2008410117
slinkystrudels
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slinkystrudels »

“I looked around online, MPLa is an FDA approved drug and it is available through chemical stores. I wonder what the potential is to actually access this product? MPLa as an adjuvant needs to be super safe, so it has been in development for many decades. The irony is that a super safe treatment such as that is less generally available than other marketed dementing treatments that are neither safe nor effective. The 50 microgram doses of MPLa found in most human vaccines is the same dose used in mice. To be equivalent, dose might need to scale up a hundred fold or more for humans.”

So , the doses in mpla found in current human vaccines are not likely to be enough for protection against AD ?
41years old from bonnie Scotland. 4/4 ....
stana
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stana »

Hi,

It might come due to difference between live and inactivated vaccines. Sharing link to interesting view.

https://www.ted.com/talks/christine_sta ... transcript