STAT: “ The maddening saga of how an Alzheimer’s ‘cabal’ thwarted progress toward a cure for decades”

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
thumperama
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

STAT: “ The maddening saga of how an Alzheimer’s ‘cabal’ thwarted progress toward a cure for decades”

Post by thumperama »

An interesting account of the people behind the struggle to move the scientific community beyond Amyloid Beta as the therapeutic target.

https://www.statnews.com/2019/06/25/alz ... ward-cure/
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: STAT: “ The maddening saga of how an Alzheimer’s ‘cabal’ thwarted progress toward a cure for decades”

Post by Julie G »

THIS is tragic and very true. I appreciate the author bringing it to light. Thanks for sharing.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Re: STAT: “ The maddening saga of how an Alzheimer’s ‘cabal’ thwarted progress toward a cure for decades”

Post by Jmac »

thumperama wrote:An interesting account of the people behind the struggle to move the scientific community beyond Amyloid Beta as the therapeutic target.

https://www.statnews.com/2019/06/25/alz ... ward-cure/
What an interesting and well-written article! I think we've all been frustrated with the focus on one area. Thanks for sharing.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Great article. Thanks for posting it. Are there still studies going on based on the amyloid hypothesis? I haven’t been following the research all that much, as I’ve been focused on addressing my known root causes.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
broiler_x
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by broiler_x »

Having been in the trenches in research around the amyloid hypothesis heyday in the mid-2000's, I don't really think there was a concerted effort to ignore all other possibilities. That's just typical of science in general. The "hot" hypothesis gets all of the attention (and funds). The data at the time (mostly from mice) was very, very compelling. The big problem was that those were genetically engineered mice that were altered to develop Alzheimer's, and it was really a crude model of early-onset AD, which is very different than late-onset AD. By 2011-12 there were already many vocal doubters of the amyloid hypothesis, including me. So the fad ran it's course. I'm amazed that Biogen still won't let it go, but maybe they will reveal something new in the future.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

broiler_x wrote:I don't really think there was a concerted effort to ignore all other possibilities. That's just typical of science in general. The "hot" hypothesis gets all of the attention (and funds).
Unfortunately, I don't see these as mutually exclusive. That's not to denigrate the sincerity of many scientists who strive for objectivity but I think points to the way that as a discipline, like so many others, science isn't structurally free of politics.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.