Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Mags
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Post by Mags »

4/4 grateful to this community
Mags
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mags »

LindaSchill
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LindaSchill »

Welcome to the APoE4 community Mags. Thank you for sharing the research articles. It is encouraging to see research being done concerning the ApoE4 gene. I'd like to share with you a few tips you will find helpful as a new user to the website. The Primer is a good place to get started. It was brilliantly written by a member physician with the ApoE4 gene. Another handy resource is the Main Wiki page. You will find all kinds of key materials. If you would like to share more about yourself and what brought you to this community, you may tell your story here. There are so many places to explore on this website and plenty of wonderful members who are ready to support you! Glad you have joined us. :)
Lindaschill
Caregiver of those Diagnosed with Alzheimer’s
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Health Coach Trained in Bredesen Protocol
Mags
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mags »

Thanks very much, Linda! I'll try to do that, thanks :-)
LindaSchill
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LindaSchill »

Mags,
You are welcome. ;)
Caregiver of those Diagnosed with Alzheimer’s
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Health Coach Trained in Bredesen Protocol
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Depressing news, but I’d rather know than not know.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Ergodoy
New User
New User

Post by Ergodoy »

It sounds like there is an increased risk of severe disease per a study published May 26 in however I am a little unsure of whether the data has a significant cohort of 4/4 with COVID-19

The cohort is taken from 451,367 individuals participating in UK assessment centers. 9,022 were found to be 4/4.
622 of the entire cohort later ended upCOVID positive with only 37 of these were 4/4.

Confounders such as DM, dementia and CAD were excluded. However, I would take this as a preliminary finding with more investigation needed.

Here is their conclusion:

“In conclusion, the ApoE e4e4 allele increases risks of severe COVID-19 infection, independent of pre-existing dementia, cardiovascular disease, and type-2 diabetes. ApoE e4 not only affects lipoprotein function (and subsequent cardio-metabolic diseases) but also moderates macrophage pro-/anti-inflammatory phenotypes [9]. The novel coronavirus SARS- CoV-2 causing COVID-19 uses the ACE2 receptor for cell entry. ACE2 is highly expressed in type II alveolar cells in the lungs, where ApoE is one of the highly co-expressed genes [10]. Further investigation is needed to understand the biological mechanisms linking ApoE genotypes to COVID-19 severity.”

https://academic.oup.com/biomedgerontol ... chresult=1
glaa131.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MicheleCC »

Ergodoy wrote:It sounds like there is an increased risk of severe disease per a study published May 26 in however I am a little unsure of whether the data has a significant cohort of 4/4 with COVID-19

The cohort is taken from 451,367 individuals participating in UK assessment centers. 9,022 were found to be 4/4.
622 of the entire cohort later ended upCOVID positive with only 37 of these were 4/4.

Confounders such as DM, dementia and CAD were excluded. However, I would take this as a preliminary finding with more investigation needed.
Here is their conclusion: Further investigation is needed to understand the biological mechanisms linking ApoE genotypes to COVID-19 severity.”

https://academic.oup.com/biomedgerontol ... laa131.pdf
Hi Ergodoy! Thank you for contributing to the conversation on this site. I noticed this is your first posting and I'd like to welcome you to the apoe4.info community. We're glad you're here!

For starters, I'd like to point you to a few basics regarding the use of this site that you may find helpful. The PRIMER is where many users like to start. It's written by one of our member medical doctors, Stavia, and provides an excellent overview of all things apoe4. Another resource is "How-to" get the most from the apoe4.info website. Lastly, please consider posting a bit about yourself on the "Our Stories" thread, so we can get to know you better. We're glad you found us!
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)