Page 1 of 3

Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:07 am
by giftsplash
Concept I want to share with the group.

It seems that there is a genetic component to the CoronaVirus. Although it is too early to tell but people who catch the virus outside of China seem to be able to survive at a much higher rate. Better medical care might be one reason, but genetics might be another. People who carry the ACE2 receptor are more likely to be infected with the SARS-CoV

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006291X04001214

IMG_20200204_095952.jpg


What jumped out at me is that if you look at the people who carry the ACE2 receptors it inversely correlated to regions of people carrying the APOE4 gene. Not sure if anyone ever seen a correlation study between ACE2 and APOE4. Or what to make of this.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... .6340301.x

Re: Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:57 pm
by Nikki2019
giftsplash wrote:Concept I want to share with the group.

It seems that there is a genetic component to the CoronaVirus. Although it is too early to tell but people who catch the virus outside of China seem to be able to survive at a much higher rate. Better medical care might be one reason, but genetics might be another. People who carry the ACE2 receptor are more likely to be infected with the SARS-CoV

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006291X04001214

IMG_20200204_095952.jpg

What jumped out at me is that if you look at the people who carry the ACE2 receptors it inversely correlated to regions of people carrying the APOE4 gene. Not sure if anyone ever seen a correlation study between ACE2 and APOE4. Or what to make of this.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... .6340301.x

Thanks for bringing this topic to the forum. I have been thinking about it too a lot lately. I have been wondering how our ApoE4 status may affect the severity ( or not) of the Coronavirus. At first, I thought it may be helpful due to the "inflammation of fighting off pathogens" spoken about which is why many think why it may have evolved with early hominids. Now, I am wondering if it could actually be a detriment exactly because of the inflammation. I have read that the harsh lung reaction involves " inflammation". We are all about that! Maybe that is contributing to the reason why some folks have mild cases and others do not?

Re: Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:56 am
by rws
> people who catch the virus outside of China seem to be able to survive at a much higher rate

I don't think the numbers support this. Also you need to exclude the effect that mild strains of the virus (if they exist) are preferably let through the controls. You can see this effect in many epidemics.

Re: Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:12 pm
by Julie G
I hope so. My husband is returning tomorrow from two back-to-back trips to South Korea where he interacted with other flight crew members who were within 14 days from having returned from China. Yesterday, I called my local health department to see where we could go to get tested should he (or I) show symptoms. I learned that my state has no test kits and that they don't want us seeking medical help until he has a fever and lower respiratory symptoms (cough & shortness of breath) severe enough to require hospitalization. Yikes :?

Re: Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:19 pm
by NF52
Julie G wrote:I hope so. My husband is returning tomorrow from two back-to-back trips to South Korea where he interacted with other flight crew members who were within 14 days from having returned from China. Yesterday, I called my local health department to see where we could go to get tested should he (or I) show symptoms. I learned that my state has no test kits and that they don't want us seeking medical help until he has a fever and lower respiratory symptoms (cough & shortness of breath) severe enough to require hospitalization. Yikes :?
Yikes, indeed!

I just saw the link below on criteria revised yesterday on the CDC website:https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/hcp/clinical-criteria.html
It looks the what you were told is a strengthened testing protocol based on the person hospitalized in UC-Davis. Amazingly, it is only if someone who traveled from a target area is sick enough to be hospitalized. Of course, if any of his colleagues were to be diagnosed, he would immediately move into the first group:

We always thank pilots for safe trips; now we'll have to thank them for hazardous duty. Best wishes for boring trips in his future and great health to enjoy them.

Re: Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:19 pm
by SusanJ
Julie G wrote:Yikes


Yikes is putting it mildly! :shock:

Sending extra anti-viral mojo your way!

Re: Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:16 am
by aphorist
First clinical trial for Coronavirus - 24 G IV infusion of Vitamin C
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04264533

It's a very high amount, probably to prove efficacy. Normal IV's are like 10-15 grams. But, long story short if you have some vitamin C daily... even like 200 mg, it will likely help prevent coronavirus. 2 grams is the upper tolerable limit in adults, AFAIK.

Re: Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:21 pm
by Tincup
aphorist wrote:First clinical trial for Coronavirus - 24 G IV infusion of Vitamin C
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04264533

It's a very high amount, probably to prove efficacy. Normal IV's are like 10-15 grams. But, long story short if you have some vitamin C daily... even like 200 mg, it will likely help prevent coronavirus. 2 grams is the upper tolerable limit in adults, AFAIK.


My understanding is that at high levels of IV Vit C, it acts as a pro-oxidant, so a different method of action.

I linked to Dr. Herbert Shelton's book "The Science and Fine Art of Fasting" in this post. This is an old book, I think the last edition was published in 1963. However Shelton had supervised the fasting of ~40,000 people on extended fasts. On p 259, "If fasting is instituted at the very outset of whooping cough the child may never whoop. Vomiting does not occur in whooping cough when no food is given. Scarlet fever ends in four to five days and no complications develop. Measles, pneumonia, diphtheria, small-pox, etc., soon end if no food is given. I have fasted numerous children and babies, in both acute and chronic diseases (no infants in chronic disease) and it is my observation that they bear fasting well, often making much less fuss about it than adults." Hence an interesting thought - just start fasting. I would probably try it, though not recommending to others.

Re: Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:52 am
by bexnews
FWIW Dr. Gail Clayton a functional med doctor put together this: https://www.drgailclayton.com/covid-19/ Among suggestions to help protect yourself includes eating a WHOLE30 or Paleo like diet (low processed food essentially) and some supplements. On FB she commented she would advise APOE4s to take Tocotrienol Vitamin E, as she suggests everyone do to boost various systems. She reviews this in her video here https://youtu.be/mmBKbGMzGDc?t=1677 On her website you can get a summary of her protocol where it says "DOWNLOAD A COPY OF THE SURVIVAL GUIDE"

Re: Does having APOE4 protect you from getting the Coronavirus? .... Maybe

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:46 am
by TheBrain
giftsplash wrote:It seems that there is a genetic component to the CoronaVirus. Although it is too early to tell but people who catch the virus outside of China seem to be able to survive at a much higher rate. Better medical care might be one reason, but genetics might be another. People who carry the ACE2 receptor are more likely to be infected with the SARS-CoV

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006291X04001214


I came across the following article today. It has to do with the ACE2 receptor. (But I have no idea how ApoE4 fits in with this receptor, and the article doesn't address this matter.)

Chinese Scientists Find Genetic Explanation For Coronavirus Discriminating By Race | Zero Hedge
https://www.zerohedge.com/health/chines ... ating-race

The study - a preprint that has not yet been peer-reviewed - is entitled Single-cell RNA expression profiling of ACE2, the putative receptor of Wuhan 2019-nCov, By Yu Zhao et al., bioRxiv, 2020] and is authored by a group of medical scientists based at Tongji University in Shanghai

The authors explain that “2019-nCov was reported to share the same receptor, Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2)” as the SARS disease, an outbreak of which in 2003 seemed almost exclusively to kill Northeast Asians.

Based on “the public database and the state-of-the-art single-cell RNA-Seq technique” the Chinese scientists “analyzed the ACE2 RNA expression profile in the normal human lungs.” Crucially, they further found (in a comparison of eight individual samples) that the “Asian male one has an extremely large number of ACE2-expressing cells in the lung” in comparison to other races. (The database was based on analysis of eight normal human lung transplant donors of different races.)