Is Malaria Protective For Alzheimer’s In ApoE 4s

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Is Malaria Protective For Alzheimer’s In ApoE 4s

Post by Kenny4/4 »

The Tsimane tribe in South America has low rates of Alzheimer’s in ApoE4’s who are infected with parasites.
The Nigerian’s of Ibdan also have a relatively low rate af Alzheimer’s in ApoE4’s. Most research has focused on food and diet as we in the west are fixated on food and diet.
Malaria infection is widespread in Nigeria. Malaria is a parasite. Is this parasite protective in Nigerians as other parasites are in Tsimane tribesman? What do you think?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Is Malaria Protective For Alzheimer’s In ApoE 4s

Post by Julie G »

Interesting thought. I’m just one 4/4 data point but based on my experience, I’m guessing it would NOT be protective. I didn’t have malaria, but rather a very similar illness called Babesia duncani that went undiagnosed for 15 years. I was very, very sick and ultimately developed cognitive decline. After several years of treatment, the babesiosis is gone but I’m left with a diminished immune system and still have to receive IVIG infusions every other month.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:Interesting thought. I’m just one 4/4 data point but based on my experience, I’m guessing it would NOT be protective. I didn’t have malaria, but rather a very similar illness called Babesia duncani that went undiagnosed for 15 years. I was very, very sick and ultimately developed cognitive decline. After several years of treatment, the babesiosis is gone but I’m left with a diminished immune system and still have to receive IVIG infusions every other month.
Wow, it was determined that the babesiosis was the cause of the immunoglobulin issues? So glad you are doing better!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kenny4/4 »

Julie G wrote:Interesting thought. I’m just one 4/4 data point but based on my experience, I’m guessing it would NOT be protective. I didn’t have malaria, but rather a very similar illness called Babesia duncani that went undiagnosed for 15 years. I was very, very sick and ultimately developed cognitive decline. After several years of treatment, the babesiosis is gone but I’m left with a diminished immune system and still have to receive IVIG infusions every other month.
Sorry to hear about your experience with that parasite and it sounds like Babesia is NOT a parasite ApoE4s would want.
I do find the idea that there may be a protective affect of parasites for ApoE4s in primitive (Tsimane) or possibly less industrialized (Nigeria) cultures.
We see viruses and bacteria correlate with an increase in risk such as in those with HSV. Symptoms of AD seem to worsen with UTIs according to most nurses carding for AD patients. We also observe that TNF-alpha inhibitors like Acrept are associated with a decrease in incidence of AD.
It makes me wonder if an eosinophil (parasite targeted granulocyte) predominant reaction to some parasites creates a deficit in other granulocytes like neutrophils and mast cells that are associated with Amyloid and TNF-Alpha.
I wonder what your blood work during this time looked like? I wonder what the ApoE 4 parasite infected Tsimane peoples blood work would look like compared to “normal” or primordial AD blood work?
We always hear about the inflammation connection with AD and that parasites cause a drop in inflammation in some autoimmune populations. It would be interesting to compare granulocyte levels in each group.