Researchers Find Gene Variants that May Increase Susceptibility to Alzheimer's Proteins

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
User avatar
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: Georgia, USA

Researchers Find Gene Variants that May Increase Susceptibility to Alzheimer's Proteins

Postby Jmac » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:46 am

(Heading out for a bit, when back I'm going to look into this more...)

MINNEAPOLIS, March 3, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Researchers know that the protein tau develops into tangles in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease. But until now they have struggled to understand what factors make you more or less likely to develop these tangles. In a preliminary study released today that will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology's 72nd Annual Meeting in Toronto, Canada, April 25 to May 1, 2020, researchers say that they have identified gene variants that are associated with a susceptibility to developing tau deposits in older age...There was no relationship between these new genetic markers and other genes that have previously been identified as related to Alzheimer's risk, including the apolipoprotein E gene, or APOE...

https://www.mdjonline.com/neighbor_newspapers/extra/news/researchers-find-gene-variants-that-may-increase-susceptibility-to-alzheimer/article_f5472e72-f0a1-5deb-86a1-c9a67481f343.html

FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Researchers Find Gene Variants that May Increase Susceptibility to Alzheimer's Proteins

Postby FitFoodie » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:43 am

Jmac wrote:(Heading out for a bit, when back I'm going to look into this more...)

MINNEAPOLIS, March 3, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Researchers know that the protein tau develops into tangles in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease.
https://www.mdjonline.com/neighbor_newspapers/extra/news/researchers-find-gene-variants-that-may-increase-susceptibility-to-alzheimer/article_f5472e72-f0a1-5deb-86a1-c9a67481f343.html


I wonder if this research is related?
https://www.genengnews.com/news/protect ... dentified/

User avatar
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: Researchers Find Gene Variants that May Increase Susceptibility to Alzheimer's Proteins

Postby Jmac » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:18 am

FitFoodie wrote:I wonder if this research is related?
https://www.genengnews.com/news/protect ... dentified/


That was fascinating. It kind of seemed they took a broader look, expanding the narrow approach of the other. We are living in amazing times!

FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Researchers Find Gene Variants that May Increase Susceptibility to Alzheimer's Proteins

Postby FitFoodie » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:53 am

Jmac wrote:
FitFoodie wrote:I wonder if this research is related?
https://www.genengnews.com/news/protect ... dentified/


That was fascinating. It kind of seemed they took a broader look, expanding the narrow approach of the other. We are living in amazing times!


I agree and am hopeful.


Return to “Science and Research”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests