Alpha-1 Antitrypsin helping brain inflammation

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Alpha-1 Antitrypsin helping brain inflammation

Post by FitFoodie »

https://jneuroinflammation.biomedcentra ... 014-0165-8

a medication that already exists for people with this deficiency to help reduce their emphysema and liver disease could be useful in fighting AD.

I know from my lung issues that I carry one less-than-ideal version of the gene that causes alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. My combo is shared by 8% of the population and isn't considered pathogenic, though it does mean I make on average only 80% of normal of this substance that dampens inflammation.

Random side note, I also know from other research that the quantity of A-1AT a person produces during an immune system activation is also linked to their weight, with being underweight a bad thing.

Anyone who has done Promethease can look up their genes for this condition. My "less-than-ideal but still normal" gene situation doesn't qualify for the med...
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Alpha-1 Antitrypsin helping brain inflammation

Post by circular »

Thanks, I am same as you. I once did the blood test and it came back normal. You might order that to look under the hood a bit.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

Me too
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FitFoodie »

Jafa wrote:Me too
circular wrote:Thanks, I am same as you. I once did the blood test and it came back normal. You might order that to look under the hood a bit.
Probably should. My level was tested when I was sick. It was normal. The doctor said that being sick, it should probably be higher. End of discussion. I don't see that doctor anymore, but I also didn't follow up on the issue.