Missing allele found in me

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Missing allele found in me

Post by J11 »

Rare_case, your infectious enthusiasm will get others to genome sequence as well.
This is what we need for the genomics age to begin.
With such widespread genetic knowledge profound genetic change will occur in the community.

One other approach that you might consider to phase your APOE result is to try nanopore sequencing.
Nanopores can sequence quite long strands of DNA. The APOE epsilon variants are actually quite close
together, so nanopore sequencing of APOE could provide the phasing that you are interested in.
If you only wanted to sequence APOE, then it might not be very expensive. Possibly less than $100.

Currently there is a wide range of genetic differentiation, much of which is known not to be adaptive.
Indeed with the social welfare programs that have evolved over the last few centuries it is now recognized
that the human genome has accumulated many damaging genetic variants. We could reach a point in
which we could no longer cope with all the problems that our policies have unintentionally brought about.
However, with genetic selection we could both be humane and sustainable.

Are you interested in investigating your intelligence level?
There are quite a few SNPs that have been found in the genetic studies.
Do you have access to software that would allow you to submit a list of SNPs and determine their genotypes?
This would not take much programming, if this were not provided.
Yet, I am sure that others who might be interested in being sequenced would be more confident in
moving forward if they knew that such applications were already enabled.

These SNPs were found to have the largest positive effect on educational attainment.
There are many many others.

rs186456786
rs188251563
rs144336753
rs140711597
rs117895796
rs61757207
rs71413877
rs150421637
rs113731629
rs62155350
Rare_case
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rare_case »

There is so much to learn and frankly I feel so stupid when I try to understand my genome, changes in it or how it all manifests in me.

When I try to find something from my genome, I just go to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene and type gene or snp. Then I change CRCh37 p13 primary assembly because that is same assemly as Dantelabs's DNA explorer.
It is easy to fin gene and location and check it manually, and I enjoy it as a hobby. I'm also becoming faster doing it.

FADS2 is one of the claimed intelligence genes, though it has never been really confirmed. But checking it gave me nice example to share here because there is so much I don't understand. And it's not easy to get community support because so few have sequenced and learned to read genome.

This is screenshot from chr11:61,591,928-61,591,976 and again 2 different genomes I have to compare. Those deletion and insertions are just confusing. I would like to know who put them there, why and what it means in every case.
We know so little about this, or at least I know very little and I've tried to learn last 6 months or so. :)
Maybe someday I will understand something.

Sorry about off-topic far frm APOE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rare_case
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rare_case »

Crazy insertions, I have several AAA and several longer ones, my friend has one longer and one random GG :)

I think in year or two there will be community where genomes are compared and discussed.

I really think everyone should have their genomes sequenced, just wait for next black friday super sale. :)

No more this off-topic.

I will try to found genes and SNPs for memory and intelligence in near future.

And I will let yo know my real APOE when I confirm it with much needed assist from my doctor... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rare_case
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rare_case »

BTW, we took 2 domains with cool names: sequenced.science and apoe.wtf

In future, there might be proper platform for community based genetics discussion. :)