Withings Body Cardio vs Gold Standards of PWV & Body Comp (J Pers Med 2020)

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Withings Body Cardio vs Gold Standards of PWV & Body Comp (J Pers Med 2020)

Post by apod »

I bought one of the Withings Body Cardio scales when it first entered the market. It was the first of its kind, offering daily cardiovascular PWV measurements.

On this chart, PWV has a very close association with biological age:
Figure3-PWV-versus-age-There-was-a-strong-positive-association-between-age-and.png
At the time, I wasn't sure how accurate the reading was -- some things seemed to improve the trend, but it was a very noisy plot. Soon, the FDA required Withings to remove the feature, since it was providing a health diagnostic for free to the public, which they felt should be ordered by a paid physician. After bricking the best feature from the product, they offered a full-refund, which I accepted.

Just a few months ago, a study was published looking at the accuracy for the scale (<10% MAPE):
"Home blood pressure monitors are widely used by consumers yet cardiovascular health may be better defined by pulse-wave velocity (PWV)... The Body Cardio scale provides accurate measures of BM and PWV."
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32168728/

Additionally (from the Withings site):
Withings has performed validation studies in collaboration with hospitals (Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston / Hôpital Européen Georges Pompidou, Paris / Scripps Institute, San Diego). These studies compared the measurement of the PWV measurement made by Body Cardio to those taken with a medical device used to measure PWV. The results of the studies demonstrate that PWV measurements taken with Body Cardio yielded similar results to measurements taken using the reference medical device.
In Europe, this data for improving ones health has been restored to consumers, while in the USA, the data is still restricted. (See Withings: Body Cardio FAQ.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Withings Body Cardio vs Gold Standards of PWV & Body Comp (J Pers Med 2020)

Post by Tincup »

apod wrote:In Europe, this data for improving ones health has been restored to consumers, while in the USA, the data is still restricted. (See Withings: Body Cardio FAQ.)
Would be nice as I own one. Meanwhile, I've been using this iHeart fingertip device.

I've been able to get the iHeart down to reported age 18 (I'm 65). There is a lot of variability. My max is generally reported age 50, which still isn't bad.
Tincup
E3,E4
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Tincup wrote:Would be nice as I own one. Meanwhile, I've been using this iHeart fingertip device.
That device looks very cool! I've been on the lookout for a new smart scale or something like iHeart, waiting to see if a new product enters the 2020 or 2021 market (I'm a sucker for a new gadget.)
nmlss
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nmlss »

Has anyone been able to (re-)enable this feature in the US? I've just received my Withings Body Cardio, but I can only see "vascular age". I'd like to get the actual pulse wave velocity measurement instead (in ms). I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks!
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Another gadget, yippee!

How does a weighing scale measure PWV...and for that matter how does it measure fat/muscle/bone mass? Surely the latter three are just pure guesswork using an ohm meter?

I'd like to hear reports form anyone who's used this device.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
nmlss
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nmlss »

Yes, body fat percentages are wild guesses that seem completely random and totally off. But their PWV measurements might be ok. But as of today only customers in Europe can see the actual numbers. Folks in the US get an estimate of what Withings calls "vascular age" instead. It's supposed to be based on PWV, but one cannot see the exact number.