Spirulina Prevents Memory Dysfunction in Senescence-Accelerated Mice (J Nutri Sci 2011)

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Spirulina Prevents Memory Dysfunction in Senescence-Accelerated Mice (J Nutri Sci 2011)

Post by apod »

Spirulina Prevents Memory Dysfunction, Reduces Oxidative Stress Damage and Augments Antioxidant Activity in Senescence-Accelerated Mice
Three-month-old male senescence-accelerated prone-8 (SAMP8) mice were randomly assigned to either a control group or to one of two experimental groups (one receiving daily dietary supplementation with 50 mg/kg BW and one with 200 mg/kg BW of Spirulina platensis water extract)... The amyloid β-protein (Aβ) deposition was significantly reduced at the hippocampus and whole brain in both Spirulina groups... Spirulina platensis may prevent the loss of memory possibly by lessening Aβ protein accumulation, reducing oxidative damage and mainly augmenting the catalase activity.
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jnsv/57/2/57_2_186/_article
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Spirulina Prevents Memory Dysfunction in Senescence-Accelerated Mice (J Nutri Sci 2011)

Post by Jmac »

[quote="apod"]Spirulina Prevents Memory Dysfunction, Reduces Oxidative Stress Damage and Augments Antioxidant Activity in Senescence-Accelerated Mice[quote]

Interesting --- and a timely find for me to see it on here! I have been doing a bit of research on spirulina as the vitreous fluid in one of my eyes is decreasing. I understand it's something that happens a lot with age but I'm getting flashing lights in the eye which the eye doc says is also normal...no detached retina (which it could indicate). Anywaze...in reading how to help the vitreous fluid spirulina and chlorella popped up a few times so was debating on whether to add yet one more thing to my regimen. I think it's too late to help the fluid but figure it can't hurt my eye health, might help the other eye --- and now I see it might help elsewhere :-).

p.s. I kicked off the problem by rubbing my eye excessively one day. Then again, maybe the reason it itched was because the process had started...will never know.