Prevention of Early Alz. Disease by Erinacine A Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study: Frontiers in Aging Neurosci. 2020

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Prevention of Early Alz. Disease by Erinacine A Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study: Frontiers in Aging Neurosci. 2020

Post by apod »

Prevention of Early Alzheimer’s Disease by Erinacine A-Enriched Hericium erinaceus Mycelia (Lion's Mane Mushroom) Pilot Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00155/full
Diet is an important modifiable risk factor for AD, as it is able to modulate structural brain connectivity, cause positive changes in brain function and behavior, as well as help regulate cognition and emotion.

In comparison to the placebo group, the intake of EAHE for 49 weeks showed higher CASI, MMSE, and IADL scores and achieved a better contrast sensitivity in patients with mild AD. The benefit of EAHE in reducing cognitive decline may be associated with improved blood biomarkers such as calcium, albumin, Hb, Hcy, SOD, BDNF, APOE4, and α-ACT, as well as reduced structural deterioration in the ARC and PHC regions of patients with mild AD.
Family Tree Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Prevention of Early Alz. Disease by Erinacine A Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study: Frontiers in Aging Neurosci.

Post by Family Tree Guy »

Thank you for posting this. Although the study numbers ended up including a relatively small number of patients, the results are seriously impressive. The group taking the dried mushroom improved 2 points in their MMSE exam with statistical significance despite the small number. For reference, the Biogen Aducanumab is only claiming to reduce decline slightly in some populations, but it sure appears Lions Mane actually improves cognition.

(Full disclosure: I put dried Lion's Mane into my morning smoothie every day based on previous papers I had read)