reaction speed and brain health.

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

reaction speed and brain health.

Post by hairyfairy »

Iv`e heard that faster reaction speeds are associated with good brain health. Is there any strong evidence to support this theory? Iv`e been wondering if taking up one of the martial arts would help protect against alzheimers. I know that fast reaction times helps prevent falls, which is another thing that worries me about getting older.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: reaction speed and brain health.

Post by BrianR »

hairyfairy wrote:Iv`e heard that faster reaction speeds are associated with good brain health. Is there any strong evidence to support this theory? Iv`e been wondering if taking up one of the martial arts would help protect against alzheimers. I know that fast reaction times helps prevent falls, which is another thing that worries me about getting older.
I think there's a lot of evidence that exercise and learning new skills are good for your brain. I would expect that martial arts would also help with balance. In addition, if you can (post-covid) do the martial arts with a group of people you like, the social benefits should be good for your brain health. So, overall, this seems like a excellent strategy, particularly if the alternative is not exercising.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: reaction speed and brain health

Post by floramaria »

hairyfairy wrote:Iv`e heard that faster reaction speeds are associated with good brain health. Is there any strong evidence to support this theory? Iv`e been wondering if taking up one of the martial arts would help protect against alzheimers. I know that fast reaction times helps prevent falls, which is another thing that worries me about getting older.
Hi, hairyfairy, Yes. While I am pretty sure that this would apply to all forms of martial arts, I am only familiar with research on Tai Chi, since I have studied and practiced Tai Chi for the last decade. There are Definitely studies of the benefits to cognitive function of Tai Chi. One resource I happen to have handy is The Harvard Medical School Guide to Tai Chi by Peter Wayne, PhD; it has an an entire chapter on cognition, “Sharpen your Mind”. The chapter discusses different active ingredients of Tai Chi that support brain health: aerobic and mobility exercises, stress reduction, learning new skills , focused attention, and participating in socially rich leisure activities. (This final one will be restored post-pandemic.)
Tai Chi emphasizes that Training the mind and body are inseparable. Dr Wayne offers this quote from martial arts scholar Shi Ming :
When all is done and said, the origin, core, and highest level of the inner and outer work of martial arts are all in the refinement of mind

Several randomized trials are cited , Including a large scale one in China that evaluated Tai Chi versus a stretching and toning program in adults with dementia. After one year, the group assigned to Tai chi had greater improvement in cognitive performance. At University of Arizona, according to this book, which includes footnotes linking to the studies, “Tai Chi led to greater Improvements in cognitive function, including attention, concentration, and mental tracking, as well as balance, after six months compared to either education or exercise groups.”
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health