Wine and Cheese Might Actually Help You Avoid Dementia

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Wine and Cheese Might Actually Help You Avoid Dementia

Post by NewRon »

Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Wine and Cheese Might Actually Help You Avoid Dementia

Post by TheresaB »

Seems as though those are two things ApoE4s should avoid. Did the research stratify by ApoE status?
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

Genetic Factors of Alzheimer’s Disease Modulate How Diet is Associated with Long-Term Cognitive Trajectories: A UK Biobank Study

Behind a paywall, you'll need to use Sci-hub to look at it.

The study used retrospective food consumption questionnaires. Which, of course, are known to have issues.

APOE4 status was considered. E.g.:
Predictors of fluid intelligence by APOE4 status.png
They claim to have accounted for social-economic stratification, but didn't provide any data stratified by that factor. (Wealth or income can influence both wine & cheese consumption and dementia outcomes.) Also, I wonder if wine & cheese are more often consumed in the company of others, which I expect would improve dementia outcomes.

Overall, I just can't get very excited over results based on food questionnaires. I wouldn't be surprised if modest wine and cheese consumption, particularly in the context of meals consumed socially, would not be harmful for APOE4+. I could believe that additional non-carbohydrate calories consumed by non-obese seniors might improve outcomes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

I just stumbled across this notion in yahoo news as I was scrolling to read about the latest with the Covid situation. It surprised me, because I have heard Gundry say to stay away from E4's favorite food, cheese. So I looked in this forum and see it has already been spoken for.

When I think of wine and cheese, I think of socializing with intellectuals over a game of chess. As opposed to chugging a beer at a frat party with a bunch of drunk bafoons. :lol:

To better understand if it is really the wine and cheese.. maybe bring that to the frat party and the beer to the chess game?
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wine-ch ... 00304.html
As E4 s, we are inherent fighters and don't give up so easily.
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TLS »

I just listened to a podcast by Dementia Matters out of Wisconson (I know cheese state!) on this topic with Auriel Willette, PhD, associate professor of food science and human nutrition, Iowa State University. I found listening to the podcast to be helpful because then you can hear the nuances of the study. For me personally, I plan to include more Lamb. Note the sound quality is not great on Auriel's side.
  • Low salt - Our data supports that excess dietary salt intake appears to harm cognition, but we only noted this observation for individuals with the presence of FH (Family History) or APOE4.
  • Red wine - moderate consumption. Furthermore, we did observe a significant association between red wine and higher FI (Fluid Intelligence)in our data, but only in those with a APOE4− genotype or a family history of Alzheimer’s disease. Those who were APOE4+ or had no family history of Alzheimer’s disease, on the other hand, showed no such association.
  • Lamb - compared to beef, lamb meat may contain more than twice the amount of oleic fatty acid content, the type most prevalent in olive oil [54]. Lamb is also high in taurine, carnosine, coenzyme Q10, and creatine
  • Hard Cheese - We observed among E4−, E4+, and FH (Family History)− individuals that greater cheese consumption was associated with healthier cognitive trajectories; however, we did not observe associations between cheese and executive function among those who were FH+.
Podcast Link: https://www.adrc.wisc.edu/dementia-matt ... its-cheese
Study Link: https://www.research.iastate.edu/news/i ... e-decline/
Full Study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7895545/
apoe 3/4