Covid vaccine safety for 4/4’s?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Covid vaccine safety for 4/4’s?

Post by nerdymel23 »

Thestoryofmylife wrote:Found this place by accident. Got 4/4 result in 2017 and 2019 ad grandfathers went @ 61 and 64. Im 40 and had COVID in June 2020, was mild but scary. Fwd- to last month scheduled my shot, spouse and I were going to stagger and they went first, I know it’s unrelated but a few days after the spouses first dose I got sick, like bad.exactly like june 2020 but x3 worse with addition of minor chest pains. Went in for rapid, told results would be 30-60min. 6 hours later I get a call and I’m told its negative, and reinfection is super rare… well I never told them I had it prior nor did I mention the casual friend who went in to test after me got results in 45 min. So after almost a week in bed I got paranoid and canceled my shots in fear. Point being of this, paranoia or not I would like to get it to protect others at the very least but need to ease my mind. So has any 44 had COVID and also got the shot? Or any info on something similar? Thanks in advance
Hi Thestoryofmylife! Welcome to the forum!

It raises my curiosity to know what was going on the second time. Sounds like a very frustrating experience waiting for the results and then everything being worse. There has been a great deal of discussion over vaccines in the forum. I hope others can give some more insights. To poke around some more you can use the Search Tool to find topics and posts that interest you.

I've been following a few of my friends who are enrolled in a Johns Hopkins study regarding antibodies after having Covid-19 and then getting the vaccine. It's not related to 4/4 but they are immune compromised. I look forward to seeing the data points.

You have come to a great place of knowledge and support for being a 4/4. A couple other resources to browse as you get started is our PRIMER and the comprehensive Wiki filled with great information. Looking forward to chatting with you more around the forum!

-Melissa :D
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Thestoryofmylife wrote:... a few days after the spouses first dose I got sick, like bad.exactly like june 2020 but x3 worse with addition of minor chest pains. Went in for rapid, told results would be 30-60min. 6 hours later I get a call and I’m told its negative, and reinfection is super rare… well I never told them I had it prior nor did I mention the casual friend who went in to test after me got results in 45 min. So after almost a week in bed I got paranoid and canceled my shots in fear....Or any info on something similar? Thanks in advance
Hi again, with some additional thoughts on a possible explanation for the results you got after 6 hours.

I did a blood donation about a week after my second Pfizer shot, with disclosure of that ahead of time. I didn't know that the Red Cross is also testing all blood donations for COVID. A week or so later I got an email saying that my blood tested positive for COVID antibodies, which made me paranoid that I had somehow caught COVID while visiting my son after he had minor surgery right before the blood donation. The next paragraph explained that the positive result was on an initial test and typical of someone who had received a vaccine in the last week or two, but that an additional test was negative for antibodies typical of exposure to the virus itself or a current infection. So I had not been infected recently, but it took longer to sort that out with results showing some antibody production.

I'm wondering if you had a variation of my experience: your initial recent test showed positive antibodies from your earlier infection, then had to be re-run on a more sophisticated test to see if you were showing current antibody production. That might explain the 6 hour wait (my results didn't come back for several days) and the difference with your friend, who presumably got a "negative" result in the first go-round.

There is some evidence from the UK that people with ApoE 4/4 are more likely to have more severe disease, although it's not clear if that will hold up as more and more data is gathered. But it's peace of mind for me to know that I am far less likely to have serious disease, even if I have a "breakthrough" infection.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Thestoryofmylife
New User
New User

Post by Thestoryofmylife »

I was reluctant to post but thank you for the fast encouragement this is exactly what I need to hear :) masks are off where is live tomorrow and kids still have a few weeks left and they want it. Just I’m going in next week for it. Not to be cold but the needs of the many outweigh myself so, it is what it is. I will update in a few weeks, thanks guys!
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

Thestoryofmylife wrote: Just I’m going in next week for it. Not to be cold but the needs of the many outweigh myself so, it is what it is. I will update in a few weeks, thanks guys!
I understand completely. Please keep us posted.
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Thestoryofmylife wrote:So after almost a week in bed I got paranoid and canceled my shots in fear.
Not sure what the timing would have been to get the shot the first time, but it was probably a good idea to postpone getting your first dose--I don't think they advise getting vaccines when you aren't feeling well. Your immune system is already very busy with "other work" when you are sick! Good luck to you.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
JGrice
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JGrice »

Here's where I'm falling on this FOR ME (I'm not a doctor, just someone who has the annoying habit of incessantly asking "why"):

1. I'm a 56 year old woman, apoe 3/4. I've read Bredesen, Perlmudder, Amen, Wahl, Lugavere, Hyman, all of whom advocate for similar lifestyle adaptations with small variations. I only RARELY eat dairy, gluten, sugar, and I only eat SMASH fish to avoid mercury, I make every effort to buy wild-caught, grass-fed, free-range, organic.... you get the picture. I take a good multivitamin, homocystein, loads of D3 and magnesium citrate daily. I do the Prolon fast quarterly. I cycle at least 100 miles per week and do yoga 2x/week. I also take daily cold showers to rejuvenate mitochondria. In other words, I'm doing everything I can to live a healthy life and avoid dementia.

2. For my age group, I have a less than 1% chance of dying from COVID.

3. Every vaccine currently being tested (Moderna, Pfizer, J&J, A-Z) contains mercury and aluminum - ummm.... I thought those weren't good for apoe4?

4. If you search the websites for all four vaccine companies, you will see that the clinical trials won't end until 2023. That means that this is ALL a clinical trial with outcomes unknown.

5. So..... if I'm so careful about the quality of food and supplements that I put into my body in order to avoid a 30%+ chance of getting Alzheimers, why in the world would I participate in the clinical trial for a vaccine against a virus that has only a 1% chance of killing me?

P.S. According to the VAERS database (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System), as of early last week there had been 4,178 deaths from the COVID vaccine in the last four months, compared to 4,182 deaths in the last 20 years (!) from all other vaccines. Don't take my word for it, please look it up.

P.P.S. I'm not an anti-vax person. I never hesitated to keep my kids "fully vaccinated" when they were growing up.
NoNotMe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NoNotMe »

Hi JGrice,

Welcome back to Apoe4.info. We're very glad you're here and especially grateful for the facts you've mentioned in your post. You are asking great questions and I can see the logic of your concerns. There have been lots of conversations about Covid as related to the Apoe allele. Here is a link you might find interesting COVID VACCINE FORUM. While there is no conclusion the conversation is worthy of discussion. The forum is a great place to intelligently keep the conversation going. Here is another thread about Covid you might be interested in COVID SEVERITY.

In learning more about the APOE allele [url=ttps://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418]The Primer[/url] is a great, and optimistic, place to start. It contains lots of valuable information and was written by a member of our community who is a doctor. Lastly, here is the link that will help you navigate the site in the future HOW TO GUIDE because we'd love to know more about you and how you are continuing to navigate the Apoe landscape. Keep up the great work you are doing!

Very Best,

Erin
Functional Medicine Health Coach
Integrative Nutritionalist
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

JGrice wrote: 3. Every vaccine currently being tested (Moderna, Pfizer, J&J, A-Z) contains mercury and aluminum - ummm.... I thought those weren't good for apoe4?
First, welcome, and congratulations on your healthy lifestyle! It sounds like you are doing a great job of taking care of yourself.

Metals are a big concern for me and have been a focus of my self care since I had high levels of several toxic metals. Right now I am waiting for results from the blood metals panel from Quicksilver Scientific to see how well my body responded to a year + of chelation
therapy. I try to be very careful about metal exposure so when I read your post I tried looking this up. I read through a few posts that state the ingredients of the vaccines but none of those I saw included Mercury or aluminum. Admittedly, this was not an extensive search. Here are two examples of what I found:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/1 ... covid-19-v https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/Coronavir ... nglish.pdf accine/

I am not claiming to know if these are accurate at all I hope they are, but I have no way of knowing.
Would you share your source(s) of information about the aluminum and mercury in all of the COVID vaccines? I’d like to look at it/them.
Not sure what I would do at this point since I already had two doses of Moderna vaccine. (My risk factors are much higher than yours.)
Maybe increase my intake of glutathione and FiJi water ....
Thanks.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
JGrice
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JGrice »

Hi, Floramaria! Thank you for your kind words - I'm just trying to do the best with the blessings I've been given. I was just on the CDC website where I found the list of ingredients previously, and now I can't find them. I'm sure it's user error (typically...) and will continue digging.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

JGrice wrote:Here's where I'm falling on this FOR ME (I'm not a doctor, just someone who has the annoying habit of incessantly asking "why"):...2. For my age group, I have a less than 1% chance of dying from COVID.

3. Every vaccine currently being tested (Moderna, Pfizer, J&J, A-Z) contains mercury and aluminum - ummm.... I thought those weren't good for apoe4?
...P.S. According to the VAERS database (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System), as of early last week there had been 4,178 deaths from the COVID vaccine in the last four months, compared to 4,182 deaths in the last 20 years (!) from all other vaccines. Don't take my word for it, please look it up.

P.P.S. I'm not an anti-vax person. I never hesitated to keep my kids "fully vaccinated" when they were growing up.
Welcome, JGrice!
Thanks for joining the discussion. As a 69 year old woman with ApoE 4/4, I agree with your asking "why?"--and would guess it brings on some good conversations! A few years ago I asked a young academic Alzheimer's researcher about how looking at just ApoE 4 might change a particular study. His response was "You ask good questions!" And then he offered what I think we all know: there's a lot we know, and as we learn more, we find there's a lot more we still have to learn.

COVID-19 and the vaccines which have received "emergency authorization use" (EAU) approval are certainly in the "more to be learned" category. Astra-Zeneca, for example, has not yet received an EAU approval and the FDA has requested a large amount of additional data from its use in Europe and elsewhere, to determine the risk of serious side effects. I saw news this week that if it is approved, the US will ship 60 million doses already prepared to other countries which have also approved Astra-Zeneca for humanitarian use.

I was curious about the issue of aluminum and mercury (or thimerisol) and found a CDC reference that said small amounts of thimerisol are only in multiple dose flu vaccines (presumably like the quadrivalent flu vaccine I had last fall for the over-65 group!)

For me, it was helpful to see this on the FDA website about the Pfizer vaccine, which I had with only mild, brief soreness for about 10 hours after the second shot:
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN THE PFIZER-BIONTECH COVID-19 VACCINE?
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine includes the following ingredients: mRNA, lipids ((4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate), 2 [(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide, 1,2-Distearoyl-sn-glycero-3- phosphocholine, and cholesterol), potassium chloride, monobasic potassium phosphate, sodium chloride, dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate, and sucrose.
https://www.fda.gov/media/144414/download#page=2
Here's the comparable pages for Moderna and J&J:
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN THE MODERNA COVID-19 VACCINE?
The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine contains the following ingredients: messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA), lipids (SM-102, polyethylene glycol [PEG] 2000 dimyristoyl glycerol [DMG], cholesterol, and 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine [DSPC]), tromethamine, tromethamine hydrochloride, acetic acid, sodium acetate trihydrate, and sucrose.
https://www.fda.gov/media/144638/download#page=2
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN THE JANSSEN COVID-19 VACCINE?
The Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine includes the following ingredients: recombinant, replication-incompetent adenovirus type 26 expressing the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, citric acid monohydrate, trisodium citrate dihydrate, ethanol, 2-hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin (HBCD), polysorbate-80, sodium chloride.
https://www.fda.gov/media/146305/downlo ... 0chloride.

The only other info I have to offer is that the VAERS system is open to all posts and used by researchers to check out what appear to be clusters of side effects or complications. The question I would want to have answered is which of the reported 4,178 deaths after vaccination have been verified through death certificates which list that as the primary or secondary cause. I checked the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (a resource I discovered years ago that is very wonky and had data I needed on traumatic brain injuries in kids.)
It's got an interesting report from May 7 on the J&J vaccine, excerpted below. I don't expect that the numbers quoted are perfect, but it suggests that the biggest issue with J&J is the rare anaphylactic reaction and the clotting issue. As someone with a daughter with an Epi-Pen who is under 40, I was glad she took a Pfizer vaccine, and like me had no problem with it.
VAERS is a national passive surveillance program managed by CDC and FDA that monitors adverse events after all vaccinations (9). VAERS reports are accepted from health care providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public. Under EUAs for each COVID-19 vaccine, health care providers are required to report several types of adverse events to VAERS, including all deaths.** Signs and symptoms in VAERS reports are coded using the Medical Dictionary for Regulatory Activities (MedDRA).†† VAERS staff members attempt to obtain medical records and supporting information from health care providers for all reported serious events, as well as death certificates and autopsy reports for all deaths...
A review of postauthorization safety data after administration of 7.98 million doses of Janssen COVID-19 vaccine during March–April 2021 found that the most commonly reported reactions were similar to those observed in the preauthorization trials. Among processed VAERS reports, 97% were classified as nonserious events. However, reports included 17 events consistent with TTS, a newly defined condition, including three reports of non-CVST thrombotic events with thrombocytopenia among women aged <60 years during the pause in Janssen vaccine use. Among 88 deaths reported after vaccination, three occurred in patients with [cerebral venous sinus thrombosis] CVST; after preliminary reviews, no other deaths appear to have an association with vaccination.
Safety Monitoring of the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccine — United States, March–April 2021

I hope you continue to post; we have a lot to learn from someone with your diet and exercise routines and ability to seek out information from multiple sources! FWIW, I would put your chances of having Alzheimer's a far less than 30% given your risk reduction choices!
4/4 and still an optimist!