Covid vaccine safety for 4/4’s?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Covid vaccine safety for 4/4’s?

Post by TheBrain »

Before signing up for the COVID-19 vaccine, I'd recommend watching this 56-minute video (posted on January 14, 2021), which comes from America's Frontline Doctors. Simone Gold, MD, JD, is speaking on behalf of this organization. The following text is an excerpt from the organization's About Us page:

"America’s Frontline Doctors (AFLDS) stands up for every American looking for the best quality healthcare by empowering doctors working on the front lines of our nation’s most pressing healthcare challenges. We help to amplify the voices of concerned physicians and patients nationwide to combat those who push political and economic agendas at the expense of science and quality healthcare solutions. AFLDS is a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization."

The Stand | The Truth About the COVID-19 Vaccine

One important thing to know is that this vaccine is an experimental biological agent that doesn't actually stop transmission of the virus. You'd still need to wear a mask and do social distancing.

Even though Dr. Simone doesn't dive into her discussion of the vaccine until 15 minutes or so into the video, I'd suggest watching from the beginning for the full context.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Rosemary
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rosemary »

Hi TheBrain,

I watched the Simone Gold video, and I was taken aback by some of her unclaimed assertions (that it doesn't actually stop viral transmission (a moot point, neither does the Flu vaccine), masks are not necessary, the disease is mild). The research, development, and approval for the various COVID-19 vaccines has been fast and furious. I'm also worried about the possibility of vaccine antibody-dependent enhancement upon exposure to the wild strain. There's so much we don't know.

For now I've decided not to take the COVID-19 vaccine for the simple reason that I need to see more safety data before taking it. My reasoning applies to any new drug/vaccine that hits the market. I've worked in research labs and biotechnology as a virologist and later in drug safety. I know first hand that serious safety signals don't often emerge during clinical trials. If there is a potential for serious adverse events they will show up once it hits mainstream. I'm fortunate that I don't take medications, but if I did I would go with drugs with a long history of safety. But that's not always possible in dire circumstances. My parents, siblings and their children, many of my closest friends are choosing to take the vaccine. Nothing is absolute, certain.

I goggled Simone Gold. Here's an oppositional article about Simone Gold:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ne-doctors
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I consider myself a smart vaxxer, if there is such a thing. ;) For instance, as an ApoE4 homozygote, I'd never take the flu vaccine with thimerosal (mercury) and generally try to avoid vaccinations with aluminum as an adjuvant. That said, there is a growing body of work suggesting that multiple traditional vaccines actually reduce the risk of Alzheimer's and new research soon to be published, suggesting that those who've received the shingles vaccine have around a 35% reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's—something to consider.

As someone who's immunosuppressed (but can produce antibodies) I'm looking forward to getting the vaccine. Both the Pfizer and Moderna have no metals or preservatives. I saw how significantly COVID affected my 28 year old with exercise-induced asthma who is still suffering with side effects 9 months later. I'm also eager to spend time with both my 82 year old mother and 92 year old uncle in a care home whom I've largely been unable to see during the pandemic.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Interesting that someone emailed me that same video earlier today and I watched it. As much as possible, I try to investigate the source of new info that comes my way so I did a search for “America’s Frontline Doctors”. I came up with the same Guardian article Rosemary posted above and some others as well. I guess it comes down to who you choose to trust.
I am no fan of vaccines, either, but have agreed to take many in my life because I love to travel and proof of vaccination was often required along with a visa to enter many countries I went to. I got many of those vaccines in airports prior to my flights. The most notably Vaccine I got was the rabies vaccine ~ 36 straight days of shots in the belly~ after being bitten by a vampire bat in an area of Guatemala where rabies deaths occurred. Not frequently, but several deaths every year following bat bites. I didn’t want to mess with rabies.
I agree that there is not, nor can there be, sufficient evidence yet to determine that the vaccines for COVID-19 are going to prove to be safe long term. But the evidence of potential longterm damage from COVID-19 scares me almost as much as the thought of getting rabies.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

A search on the group came up with this from Medline.
Tincup
E3,E4
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

Well, my reading of the article below from "Medpagetoday", suggests that the Covid19 views of Dr. Gold and America's Frontier Doctors should be treated with serious skepticism.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/washington ... atch/90778
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

Here's an article that quotes Dr. Offit (Pete Attitia interviewed him) on false claims about the COVID-19 vaccine. It has references.
https://www.factcheck.org/2021/01/viral ... -vaccines/
All of my reading indicates that the risk of not taking the vaccine far outweighs any risk of taking it - for example:
https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories ... isk-people
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
karelena
Contributor
Contributor

Post by karelena »

I agree that the risk of short and long term health effects risk of a covid infection would be much greater than the possible risks of the vaccine. As a physician, I have already had 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine, 2nd dose was Jan. 8. No side effects at all, my arm didn't even hurt unless I pressed on the site.
DistinguishedHeathen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DistinguishedHeathen »

I'm a 3/4 and received my first dose of the Moderna vaccine last Friday and my only ill effect was a very robust immune response (lots of pain and inflammation in my bicep, shoulder, and neck). My mom is a 72-year-old 3/4 and has had no ill effect from her vaccine (also Moderna).
Donna
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Donna »

Hi All:
I’m wondering how people feel about taking turmeric, Boswell is etc. during the period of getting 1st dose ov covid vaccine to the next. Could taking the supplements we so need interfere with the vaccine. I just got my 1st dose of Moderna and stopped taking them. Any thoughts??