Covid vaccine safety for 4/4’s?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Covid vaccine safety for 4/4’s?

Post by floramaria »

Kdrinkward wrote:Does anybody have any information about which vaccine is better for people w/ a 4/4 variant? Would it be better to introduce the mRNA technology than the Johnson and Johnson which contains part of the virus? Or is just being extra cautious and not get the vaccine at all be better? So on the fence!!
I have not been able to find any information regarding which vaccine is better for people with ApoE4 allele. Personally, the known risk of severe complications from COVID-19 for ApoE4 carriers caused me to overcome my reservations about getting vaccinated. Since there are elements of my life that necessitate travel and staying in hotels, I did not have the option of staying home and avoiding any possible exposure. Still, it was not an easy choice.
What I have heard from a friend with a biochemistry background (and read somewhere) is that for people with severe autoimmune disease, the J&J may be safer. She has an AI disease and is waiting for J&J . While it is an AI disease, she did not think that my Hashimoto’s was reason to avoid the Moderna and/or Pfizer.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
lucytownsend
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lucytownsend »

Kdrinkward wrote:Does anybody have any information about which vaccine is better for people w/ a 4/4 variant? Would it be better to introduce the mRNA technology than the Johnson and Johnson which contains part of the virus? Or is just being extra cautious and not get the vaccine at all be better? So on the fence!!
A warm welcome to apoe4.info ! I am so glad you found our community. I hope you will find this site informative. Many of us here are at a genetically increased risk of Alzheimer's or caring for loved ones who are. I continue to be encouraged by both the support of this community and the up-to-date research it provides.

I am a support team intern and wanted to share useful links with you to help familiarize you with this site.

First is the How to guide it will help you get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. It is created to help members navigate the site. This area explains how to use the quotes button so that the other member receives an email notification of your reply, how to search for topics, how to subscribe to topics of interest and more.

My favorite is the Primer written by one of our member physicians, Stavia, who is ApoE4/4. It is great introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies in addition to exploring areas such as the science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. It is a wealth of information - a great place to start and to come back to time and again!

We look forward to any other questions or comments you may want to post.

Warmly,

Lucy
Lucy Townsend
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
ReCOACH Coach
Certified Patient Advocate
Kathy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kathy »

Any E4E4 people that have had the J+J vaccine? Just wondered what your experiences have been so far.
NYNative
New User
New User

Post by NYNative »

Same here. Husband received Pfizer ahead of me as he is 66 and at 59 I was not yet eligible. I just received my 2nd Moderna and we both continue to mask, socially distance and only go out when necessary. We didn't go out to each often prior to the pandemic, but we've done curbside twice in 15 mos (anniversary and Valentine's Day). Like you, I only had tenderness in the vaccinated arm for a day or so....no other symptoms!! I had the same studies mentioned above and that is how I made my decision to get vaccinated. I have friends back home in NY that lost there sense of taste/smell and that was it! Well, that is because it is in your brain and I already have issues with ADHD and with this variant I don't want to take a chance on any infiltration of my CNS. It may be years before we learn of any long lasting effects to the brain and other organs. (My mother who passed with AD in 2018 was a polio survivor and post polio issues come up in her 50's so I understand that things can arise later on.) I wish good health to all!
seachangehealthcoach
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seachangehealthcoach »

NYNative wrote:Same here. Husband received Pfizer ahead of me as he is 66 and at 59 I was not yet eligible. I just received my 2nd Moderna and we both continue to mask, socially distance and only go out when necessary. We didn't go out to each often prior to the pandemic, but we've done curbside twice in 15 mos (anniversary and Valentine's Day). Like you, I only had tenderness in the vaccinated arm for a day or so....no other symptoms!! I had the same studies mentioned above and that is how I made my decision to get vaccinated. I have friends back home in NY that lost there sense of taste/smell and that was it! Well, that is because it is in your brain and I already have issues with ADHD and with this variant I don't want to take a chance on any infiltration of my CNS. It may be years before we learn of any long lasting effects to the brain and other organs. (My mother who passed with AD in 2018 was a polio survivor and post polio issues come up in her 50's so I understand that things can arise later on.) I wish good health to all!
Hi NYNative,
Welcome to the forum and big kudos to you for finding two COVID19 vaccine topics. Sounds like you are very resourceful and that you are learning as much as you can especially as it relates to COVID19 and AD. In case you did not realize, I want to mention there is a search function icon next to your username should you want to search other topics of interest on the forum. Also, following are some links that I hope you find helpful as you explore the forum; we look forward to learning more about your interests and experiences:

How-To Guide

Primer

Our Stories
Jennifer Balzano
Founder, SeaChange Health Coaching
M.A., B.S., Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Rosemary wrote:I goggled Simone Gold. Here's an oppositional article about Simone Gold:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ne-doctors

I didn’t mean to disappear from this discussion, and only have a moment before I have to get ready for an appointment. I’ll respond to others later if I have something to say.

What I’d like to say here is that any medical expert who goes against Fauci et al’s and the mainstream media’s “narrative” on Covid, Covid treatments, and the Covid vaccine is discredited or worse “canceled.” This has been happening even to virologists and immunologists, including a former VP of Pfizer, Michael Yeadon.

Also, numerous times I’ve read (or watched in video) statements that the vaccine manufacturers themselves have claimed in their documentation that their vaccine doesn’t prevent infection or transmission. What these vaccines are supposed to do is lessen symptoms and thus the severity of disease. However, I haven’t personally reviewed such documentation to confirm this.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

TheBrain wrote:...What I’d like to say here is that any medical expert who goes against Fauci et al’s and the mainstream media’s “narrative” on Covid, Covid treatments, and the Covid vaccine is discredited or worse “canceled.” This has been happening even to virologists and immunologists, including a former VP of Pfizer, Michael Yeadon.

Also, numerous times I’ve read (or watched in video) statements that the vaccine manufacturers themselves have claimed in their documentation that their vaccine doesn’t prevent infection or transmission. What these vaccines are supposed to do is lessen symptoms and thus the severity of disease. However, I haven’t personally reviewed such documentation to confirm this.
Hi Brain!
It sounds like you are frustrated and also have legitimate questions about different viewpoints on the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines.

Thirty years ago, my 5 year old son had 8 bouts of serious respiratory illness in 10 months of kindergarten, a few months after heart surgery (half bronchitis, half X-ray confirmed double pneumonia].He missed 30 days of kindergarten and had reduced lung capacity for many more days. I was thrilled when an allergist explained that I couldn't prevent cold viruses from entering my son's nose, but allergy shots to reduce the chronic nasal congestion and standing fluid in his lungs (!) would reduce the likelihood that the common cold would turn into weeks of hacking coughs for him. I was beyond relieved to use a drug that kept him out of the hospital and feel that way today now that he is vaccinated against COVID-19.

Here's a January 2021 source that seems reputable and provides a sense of how the vaccines might still be like my son's allergy shots, from a virus immunologist post-doc at Cambridge University, UK:
Coronavirus: few vaccines prevent infection – here’s why that’s not a problem
Asymptomatically infected people typically produce virus at lower levels. Though there is not a perfect relationship, usually more virus equals more disease. Therefore, vaccinated people are less likely to transmit enough virus to cause severe disease. This in turn means that the people getting infected in this situation are going to transmit less virus to the next susceptible person. ...

So, while sterilising immunity is often the ultimate goal of vaccine design, it is rarely achieved. Fortunately, this hasn’t stopped many different vaccines substantially reducing the number of cases of virus infections in the past. By reducing disease levels in individuals, this also reduces virus spread through populations, and this will hopefully bring the current pandemic under control.
And here are results from what is referred to as "real-world effectiveness" studies (as opposed to laboratory or clinical trial "efficacy" results) published just a few weeks ago (emphasis added)"
Preliminary information from Israel found people who received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine did not develop COVID-19 symptoms or transmit the disease, according to a Pfizer statement released March 11.

“It looks like 90% reduction in asymptomatic transmission. So that’s really good,” Hotez said when the data was made available. Practically speaking, that means the vaccine may enable people to produce antibodies that reduce virus levels in the nose and the mouth, making them less likely to be contagious. ... In a report published Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines were 90% effective against SARS-CoV-2 infection, including asymptomatic infection, among front-line essential workers...Pfizer also released study results Wednesday showing its mRNA vaccine with German partner BioNTech was still more than 90% effective six months after receiving a second dose, even against the B.1.351 variant first identified in South Africa.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 645698001/

Each of us has to make the decisions that feel right to us. Thanks for sharing your concerns, Brain!
4/4 and still an optimist!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

NF52 wrote:Each of us has to make the decisions that feel right to us. Thanks for sharing your concerns, Brain!
NF52, thanks for sharing your son's experience and those two excerpts. They sound encouraging. I'll definitely keep this information in hand as I continue my research.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Thestoryofmylife
New User
New User

Post by Thestoryofmylife »

Found this place by accident. Got 4/4 result in 2017 and 2019 ad grandfathers went @ 61 and 64. Im 40 and had COVID in June 2020, was mild but scary. Fwd- to last month scheduled my shot, spouse and I were going to stagger and they went first, I know it’s unrelated but a few days after the spouses first dose I got sick, like bad.exactly like june 2020 but x3 worse with addition of minor chest pains. Went in for rapid, told results would be 30-60min. 6 hours later I get a call and I’m told its negative, and reinfection is super rare… well I never told them I had it prior nor did I mention the casual friend who went in to test after me got results in 45 min. So after almost a week in bed I got paranoid and canceled my shots in fear. Point being of this, paranoia or not I would like to get it to protect others at the very least but need to ease my mind. So has any 44 had COVID and also got the shot? Or any info on something similar? Thanks in advance
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Thestoryofmylife wrote:Found this place by accident. Got 4/4 result in 2017 and 2019 ad grandfathers went @ 61 and 64. Im 40 and had COVID in June 2020, was mild but scary. Fwd- to last month scheduled my shot, spouse and I were going to stagger and they went first, I know it’s unrelated but a few days after the spouses first dose I got sick, like bad.exactly like june 2020 but x3 worse with addition of minor chest pains. Went in for rapid, told results would be 30-60min. 6 hours later I get a call and I’m told its negative, and reinfection is super rare… well I never told them I had it prior nor did I mention the casual friend who went in to test after me got results in 45 min. So after almost a week in bed I got paranoid and canceled my shots in fear. Point being of this, paranoia or not I would like to get it to protect others at the very least but need to ease my mind. So has any 44 had COVID and also got the shot? Or any info on something similar? Thanks in advance
Welcome to someone : with a great user name!

Quick answer, as a 69 year old 4/4 female who got Pfizer and was achy after the second shot, but otherwise okay: I do know of someone age 71 who is ApoE 4/4 who got COVID in early 2021, was sick at home for 2 weeks and said in understated way "It was no fun". They got the Pfizer shots also and had similar reactions to mine. He feels strongly that the vaccine is worth it--and he has close friends who are reluctant. Said to a friend aged 75 and her mother, age 93, who didn't think they needed the vaccine: "Take it from someone who has had COVID; you don't want it."

REMEMBER: Your health history, education, health and diet, early childhood environment and medical knowledge of risk factors are likely far superior to your grandfathers. Your life story will be a far healthier and longer one; enjoy writing it!
4/4 and still an optimist!