Covid vaccine safety for 4/4’s?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Covid vaccine safety for 4/4’s?

Post by circular »

floramaria wrote:The most notably Vaccine I got was the rabies vaccine ~ 36 straight days of shots in the belly~ after being bitten by a vampire bat in an area of Guatemala where rabies deaths occurred. Not frequently, but several deaths every year following bat bites. I didn’t want to mess with rabies.
That sounds like a rough preventive, but I'm sure it was worth it. A slightly different story … I knew a woman who was bit by a rabid racoon that came in her kitchen out in the country. She insisted on using non-conventional, 'natural' treatments, only to die of rabies two weeks later. I find the tightrope between conventional approaches to health and alternative approaches to health a fascinating place to seek balance.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

circular wrote:[
… I knew a woman who was bit by a rabid racoon that came in her kitchen out in the country. She insisted on using non-conventional, 'natural' treatments, only to die of rabies two weeks later. I find the tightrope between conventional approaches to health and alternative approaches to health a fascinating place to seek balance.
WHEW!! How horrible! Sometimes I have worried about the toxicity of the rabies vaccinations. I was severely/comically loopy after each injection. This story reinforces that even with the side effects and possible toxicity, getting the vaccinations was worthwhile!
I got my first COVID-19 injection on Monday. No noticeable reaction unless I pushed on the injection site which was a little sore “when provoked” , but only for a few hours. My 101 year old dad has had 2 doses of Pfizer vaccine and did not have any side effects with either.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

Getting back to the Covid vaccine, I received my 2nd shot (Moderna) about 24 hours ago. That is the one reportedly more likely to bring side effects, but all I have is a slightly sore muscle in my shoulder. My wife had the same experience.

FC
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Fc1345linville wrote:Getting back to the Covid vaccine, I received my 2nd shot (Moderna) about 24 hours ago. That is the one reportedly more likely to bring side effects, but all I have is a slightly sore muscle in my shoulder. My wife had the same experience.

FC
Wonderful news! So glad you're both feeling well. I just had some routine lab work done yesterday. The lab tech had her second dose of Moderna last Wednesday with no ill effects, at the same site where my husband and I had our first dose of Pfizer. My ApoE 3/3 husband felt mildly ill and very tired for 24 hours, while I had only a mild stomach upset 12 hours later and was enjoying post-vaccine relief and hope that millions more will feel it also soon!
4/4 and still an optimist!
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

I had my first Moderna vaccine a couple weeks ago which was 3 months after having Covid. About 24 hours later I came down with symptoms much like when I had Covid (mild fever, fatigue, body & head aches) that lasted about 12 hours. I felt pretty lousy. My second vaccine is in a couple weeks and, given that I've heard reactions are worse after the second one, I'm kind of nervous about it (but I'll definitely still get it). I'm wondering if my immune system reacted to the first shot because I have antibodies from having the virus? That's my theory anyway.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

NancyM wrote:I had my first Moderna vaccine a couple weeks ago which was 3 months after having Covid. About 24 hours later I came down with symptoms much like when I had Covid (mild fever, fatigue, body & head aches) that lasted about 12 hours. I felt pretty lousy. My second vaccine is in a couple weeks and, given that I've heard reactions are worse after the second one, I'm kind of nervous about it (but I'll definitely still get it). I'm wondering if my immune system reacted to the first shot because I have antibodies from having the virus? That's my theory anyway.
Sounds like a sound theory, Nancy. Hope the second one is a breeze!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Rainy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rainy »

Hooray and thanks or all the good news and vaccination stories! My husband and I had our second dose of Pfizer 10 days ago, with just sore arms, a bit of dizziness and mild chills that night. SO relieved to be building our immunity and feeling safer from severe COVID - or death, especially hearing some evidence that we 4/4 folks may be at greater risk for COVID complications.
I am personally looking most forward to a clear and firm understanding of when we can meet unmasked with other vaccinated folks - and especially with our as yet unvaccinated children and grandchildren. I have read that vaccinated people can still contract largely asymptomatic COVID and then infect others, but I have also seen a new UK study that suggests the vaccine protects against contracting COVID and infecting others. Guess we just have to wait for more data, but I am so ready to hold those grandbabies, especially the two born while our family is carefully distancing during the pandemic! Patience!!
Rainy
E4/E4
"Live your life, live your life, live your life!" Maurice Sendak
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Rainy wrote:...but I am so ready to hold those grandbabies, especially the two born while our family is carefully distancing during the pandemic! Patience!!
That must be downright agonizing. Hang in there!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

NancyM wrote:I had my first Moderna vaccine a couple weeks ago which was 3 months after having Covid. About 24 hours later I came down with symptoms much like when I had Covid (mild fever, fatigue, body & head aches) that lasted about 12 hours. I felt pretty lousy. My second vaccine is in a couple weeks and, given that I've heard reactions are worse after the second one, I'm kind of nervous about it (but I'll definitely still get it). I'm wondering if my immune system reacted to the first shot because I have antibodies from having the virus? That's my theory anyway.
Reactions are worse, expect higher fever, more body aches, and potentially a longer duration (24-36 hours). Nothing to be nervous about, just don't make plans for the day or two after you get it.
Kdrinkward
New User
New User

Post by Kdrinkward »

Does anybody have any information about which vaccine is better for people w/ a 4/4 variant? Would it be better to introduce the mRNA technology than the Johnson and Johnson which contains part of the virus? Or is just being extra cautious and not get the vaccine at all be better? So on the fence!!