Covid vaccine safety for 4/4’s?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
NikiB
Contributor
Contributor

Covid vaccine safety for 4/4’s?

Post by NikiB »

My husband brought the news that those with APOE4 are at twice the risk for severe Covid. I’ve also heard rumor that Covid increases the risk did AD/dimentia or makes it worse? Wondering if anyone here has info on whether or not the vaccine is safe/recommended for APOE4/4 folks?? Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Covid vaccine safety for 4/4’s?

Post by Tincup »

NikiB wrote:My husband brought the news that those with APOE4 are at twice the risk for severe Covid. I’ve also heard rumor that Covid increases the risk did AD/dementia or makes it worse? Wondering if anyone here has info on whether or not the vaccine is safe/recommended for APOE4/4 folks??
What I know is that Pfizer & Moderna do not have adjuvants, which can be issues for 4's. Other than that, I'm not aware of any data that has E4 as a variable.
Tincup
E3,E4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

NikiB wrote:My husband brought the news that those with APOE4 are at twice the risk for severe Covid. I’ve also heard rumor that Covid increases the risk did AD/dimentia or makes it worse? Wondering if anyone here has info on whether or not the vaccine is safe/recommended for APOE4/4 folks?? Thank you in advance!
Regarding COVID and ApoE4, this paper ApoE e4e4 Genotype and Mortality With COVID-19 in UK Biobank published on July 4, 2020 covers ApoEε3/3s, ApoEε3/4s and ApoEε4/4s of European descent in England. The bottom line was the ε4/4 genotype was associated with a four-fold increase in mortality after testing positive for COVID-19 and stats for ε3/4s were also elevated.

There are also a number of papers on COVID's effects throughout the body. This article published July 10, 2020 Physicians give first comprehensive review of COVID-19's effects outside the lung addresses Blood Clots, Inflammation, the Immune System, Heart, Kidneys, and brain. The article is easier to read, but the basis for it came from this paper, which is far more comprehensive: Extrapulmonary manifestations of COVID-19

But for us 4s, whether ε4/4, ε3/4, or ε2/4, our concern is especially centered around the brain and there are definitely neurologic effects that occur with COVID. Whether they are long lasting or not, or could result/expedite Alzheimer's is as yet to be determined to my knowledge. However, there have been articles/papers suggesting there can be long lasting effects on the brain. Here's one, How COVID-19 Is Likely to Impact the Brain From this particular article:
“Using over a century of data from other pandemics, and applying knowledge about the current COVID-19 infection, researchers predict the long term effects coronavirus will have on the brain and nervous system.”
“Even mild COVID-19 infections may have negative effects on the brain long term, Dr. de Erausquin said.
“As the Alzheimer’s & Dementia article points out, the under-recognized medical history of these viruses over the last century suggests a strong link to brain diseases that affect memory and behavior,” said Maria C. Carrillo, PhD, Alzheimer’s Association chief science officer and a coauthor on the paper.”
So for me, from what I've heard about the aftereffects of the vaccines, which granted is a still a small dataset, and while I'm not a big fan of getting every vaccine available, I prefer the idea of getting a vaccine over COVID.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Family Tree Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Family Tree Guy »

[quote="NikiB"]My husband brought the news that those with APOE4 are at twice the risk for severe Covid. I’ve also heard rumor that Covid increases the risk did AD/dimentia or makes it worse? Wondering if anyone here has info on whether or not the vaccine is safe/recommended for APOE4/4 folks?? Thank you in advance!

Note that research out in the past year reports that vaccination against pneumonia people age 65-75 quite noticeably reduces AD incidence (30% for E4 carriers and 40% for non-carriers). Regular flu shot further reduces AD incidence.

https://www.alz.org/aaic/downloads2020/ ... ccines.pdf

My takeaway is that vaccines in general help people at risk for AD! And vaccines for 2 totally different pathogens is better than one alone. With no specific data on the Covid vaccines, I think it is reasonable to extrapolate that adding a vaccine against a 3rd pathogen is more likely to help than hurt. We know for sure that some Covid patients have long lasting brain fatigue. When it is my turn I will get my Covid vaccine. That is my thinking anyways...
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

As a 78 yr old 4/4, I celebrated Inauguration Day a bit differently. A little more than two hours ago I received the Moderna version of the COVID19 vaccination #1. I have felt absolutely no side effects. I will post again in a day or so to update you.
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

DAY #2 - 24 hours after my initial Moderna Covid19 vaccine the muscle in my upper arm that received the shot is a little bit tender. I think that is fairly common. Otherwise I continue to have no side effects from the vaccine, certainly no brain-fog or any other neurological issues.
The science I read says the only way to stop the virus is to gain herd immunity, and that requires getting vaccinations.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Wonderful, Fc1345linville !
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Fc1345linville wrote:The science I read says the only way to stop the virus is to gain herd immunity, and that requires getting vaccinations.
I don't think the data are available yet to know that a vaccinated person can or cannot transmit the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) virus.
Tincup
E3,E4
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

I agree with you, Tincup, that we do not know whether a vaccinated person can still pass the virus on to someone else. But we do know (I think) that while one vaccinated person might pass the virus to another vaccinated person, the recipient is 90%+ unlikely to get the clinical disease, even though technically the recipient is "infected", but not sick. Make sense?
I will continue to wear a mask and social distance after both vaccines until CDC says it is safe not to do so.
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

Fc1345linville wrote:I agree with you, Tincup, that we do not know whether a vaccinated person can still pass the virus on to someone else. But we do know (I think) that while one vaccinated person might pass the virus to another vaccinated person, the recipient is 90%+ unlikely to get the clinical disease, even though technically the recipient is "infected", but not sick. Make sense?
I will continue to wear a mask and social distance after both vaccines until CDC says it is safe not to do so.
That's great news that you were able to get the first shot. I have heard from people who have received both shots that the second one tends to be a bit more "difficult" in terms of after-effects of being vaccinated. Good to hear you are doing well.