Podcast: Julie Andersen talks about urolithin-A’s potential to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Podcast: Julie Andersen talks about urolithin-A’s potential to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases

Post by BrianR »

I recently listened to this podcast:

STEM-Talk Episode 118: Julie Andersen talks about urolithin-A’s potential to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases

and thought it was fairly interesting.
Today we have part two of our conversation with Dr. Julie Andersen, a professor at the Buck Institute who is conducting fascinating research into the metabolite compound urolithin-A.

Laboratory experiments have demonstrated urolithin-A’s ability to induce mitophagy, which is a selective recycling of mitochondria by autophagy, a process that cleans defective mitochondria and becomes less efficient during aging. Julie’s research has focused on the potential of urolithin-A to prevent and treat such diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s and Lou Gehrig’s disease.
I also liked their part 1 interview with Julie, although it had less emphasis on AD.

During the podcast, they briefly discuss a uolithin-A product from Mitopure available in the US from Timeline Nutrition. As you'd probably expect, it's not inexpensive.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Podcast: Julie Andersen talks about urolithin-A’s potential to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases

Post by Tincup »

BrianR wrote:During the podcast, they briefly discuss a uolithin-A product from Mitopure available in the US from Timeline Nutrition. As you'd probably expect, it's not inexpensive.
I always wonder if food may be a better choice as there may be other things in food than just the uolithin-A.

"A pilot intervention study was conducted in human volunteers (n = 4) to establish the bioavailability of urolithins, which are the terminal end-products of ellagitannin metabolism by the gastrointestinal microflora. Biospecimens (blood, feces, and urine) along with urolithins purified therefrom were analyzed for their antioxidant capacity in a range of in vitro assays."

"Urolithin A is a metabolite compound resulting from the transformation of ellagitannins by the gut bacteria. It belongs to the class of organic compounds known as benzo-coumarins or dibenzo-α-pyrones. Its precursors – ellagic acids and ellagitannins – are ubiquitous in nature, including edible plants, such as pomegranates, strawberries, raspberries, and walnuts." Source.
Tincup
E3,E4
shenmen100
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Podcast: Julie Andersen talks about urolithin-A’s potential to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases

Post by shenmen100 »

I wanted to tell you about my N-1 experiment so far with urolithin-A.

I listened to the podcast with Julie Andersen. I have been dealing with Benign Essential Tremor (BET) that has gotten progressively worse over the last 10 years and as a consequence I had to step away from my profession as an acupuncturist. I see a Naturopath who specializes in Parkinson's and tremor disorders and have tried many therapies like glutathione both IV and intranasally, the ayurvedic herb Macuna, reducing both my Thyroid medication(under my doc's care) and Caffeine( ouch) and finally the prodomeneuro oil. Nothing helped much. I am a 3/4.

After reading about Urolithin-A, I researched Mitopure and ordered 3 sample packets, but settled on another regime with Pure encapsulations Renual which has 250 mg mitopure along with TRans-Resveratrol and CoQ10 and combined it with a Bulk Supplements Pomegranate Extract with 40% Ellagic Acid which is what converts in the gut to Urolithin-A. The Mitopure site said it could take up to 4 months to achieve maximum benefit.

It's been 1 month and my tremors have reduced I would say by 50%- I am a little shocked, and little skeptical by how much this has helped, but happy. I plan on continuing for another 3 months to see if a further reduction in tremors occurs and how long the effect lasts.

I wanted to thank Brian R and everyone on site for always bringing new information that is actionable and in this case effective. links below

thanks
shenmen100

https://www.pureencapsulations.com/medi ... IN_WEB.pdf

https://www.bulksupplements.com/product ... 3445943407
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

shenmen100 wrote:It's been 1 month and my tremors have reduced I would say by 50%- I am a little shocked, and little skeptical by how much this has helped, but happy. I plan on continuing for another 3 months to see if a further reduction in tremors occurs and how long the effect lasts.
What a promising start to this supplement! Happy for you that you have seen such great results so far. Do come back and let us know how the next 3 months go. Your data point is just as important to share as the original post about the podcast.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

shenmen100 wrote:I wanted to tell you about my N-1 experiment so far with urolithin-A.
https://www.pureencapsulations.com/medi ... IN_WEB.pdf
https://www.bulksupplements.com/product ... 3445943407
Hi shenmen100, Thank you for sharing the results of your n=1 trial and the product links. Very exciting results. I will pass on your information to someone who has an essential tremor. If he tries this, I’ll report his experience here.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health