E4 Reactions to COVID Vaccine

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Re: E4 Reactions to COVID Vaccine

Post by nerdymel23 »

Lifein3/4time wrote:My personal experience (3/4) is I had no reaction to either dose of the Pfizer vaccine other than some very minor injection site soreness. After the second dose my sleep tracking ring said my temperature went up 0.1 degrees overnight. Clearly no issues.
Hi Lifein3/4time!

Thank you for sharing your experience with the vaccine. It's helpful information for all of us, and I'm glad to hear you had no major reactions. I'm also a 3/4 and find it encouraging.

We have a great Our Stories section which is a nice place to connect with everyone. I'm always curious to know how everyone is using their sleep rings for maximizing health. In case you haven't already found these resources, here are some suggestions:

The Primer is written by Stavia, a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4.

Our comprehensive How-To Guide was created to help members navigate the site.

Again thank you for contributing, and we do hope to hear from you again soon!
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

As I posted on another thread, I had a reaction about 24 hours after my first Moderna vaccine. The symptoms were similar to what I experienced when I had Covid three months prior to the vaccine and included fatigue, low grade fever and body and head aches. My arm was also extremely sore. The Covid-like symptoms lasted about 12 hours. I wonder if my immune system had such a strong response because I had antibodies from my prior infection. My second shot is tomorrow and I am bracing myself for an even stronger immune response given the second-shot-is-worse anecdotes I've been hearing.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

NancyM wrote:As I posted on another thread, I had a reaction about 24 hours after my first Moderna vaccine. The symptoms were similar to what I experienced when I had Covid three months prior to the vaccine and included fatigue, low grade fever and body and head aches. My arm was also extremely sore. The Covid-like symptoms lasted about 12 hours. I wonder if my immune system had such a strong response because I had antibodies from my prior infection. My second shot is tomorrow and I am bracing myself for an even stronger immune response given the second-shot-is-worse anecdotes I've been hearing.
I just read a report (on Medscape, maybe) that suggests your theory is correct: People who have had COVID-19 have a stronger reaction to the first shot than those who have not. One scientist said for those with no prior exposure, the first shot just primes the pump to recognize this foreign substance, while for those whose bodies fought it off already, the antibodies are raring to go back into action. If I remember correctly, the second shot is not likely to be quite as significant for those with previous COVID disease, while those with no disease exposure get the "Oh you're back for a second time; we're ready now!" wallop. Hope you find it too bad tomorrow.
4/4 and still an optimist!
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

NF52 wrote:
NancyM wrote:As I posted on another thread, I had a reaction about 24 hours after my first Moderna vaccine. The symptoms were similar to what I experienced when I had Covid three months prior to the vaccine and included fatigue, low grade fever and body and head aches. My arm was also extremely sore. The Covid-like symptoms lasted about 12 hours. I wonder if my immune system had such a strong response because I had antibodies from my prior infection. My second shot is tomorrow and I am bracing myself for an even stronger immune response given the second-shot-is-worse anecdotes I've been hearing.
I just read a report (on Medscape, maybe) that suggests your theory is correct: People who have had COVID-19 have a stronger reaction to the first shot than those who have not. One scientist said for those with no prior exposure, the first shot just primes the pump to recognize this foreign substance, while for those whose bodies fought it off already, the antibodies are raring to go back into action. If I remember correctly, the second shot is not likely to be quite as significant for those with previous COVID disease, while those with no disease exposure get the "Oh you're back for a second time; we're ready now!" wallop. Hope you find it too bad tomorrow.
Thanks NF2 - nice to get corroboration on my theory! And this gives me hope that maybe it won't be so bad after tomorrow's shot!
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

As an update, my second Moderna Vaccine was two days ago and it walloped me. 8-10 hours after the vaccine I woke up with extreme chills and body aches and a temp of 101. I don't usually take any over the counter pain medication but, after an hour and a half of misery, I took some which helped me to sleep some more. I was completely sapped of energy and couldn't get out of bed until mid afternoon. My symptoms gradually improved but I still didn't feel great when I went to bed last night. Fortunately I woke up feeling fine this morning and all is well now. So the symptoms lasted about 24 hours. Not a pleasant experience but at least I'm fully vaccinated now and it's all behind me!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

NancyM wrote:Not a pleasant experience but at least I'm fully vaccinated now and it's all behind me!
Thanks for the update. Glad it is behind you now!

I had my second shot of Moderna yesterday. Not knowing what to expect, I took 1000mg Tylenol right after the shot and then again before going to bed. No side effects after 24 hours, other than a very sore arm, just like the first shot.
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

I had the Moderna shot on 2/18, and had ‘COVID arm’ rash show up eight days later. It didn’t hurt, but it was bright red, about the size of my hand, warm to the touch and ITCHY. I couldn’t have most clothing touching it or it would drive me crazy. I’ve been exhausted all this week, without any real reason it. I get the second shot on 3/18. I’ve already planned to be off the 24 hours after that, just in case.
APOE4/4
DistinguishedHeathen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DistinguishedHeathen »

Hi all, I'm here with an update: In short, after the second dose, things got really rough for me.

I received the second dose of the Moderna vaccine on 3/6. Twelve hours later, I awoke with severe kidney pain and a fever of 103.4. Over the course of the night, my fever responded to Tylenol (dropping to 100.2), but the kidney pain continued to mount. I went to the ER and found I was excreting protein in my urine in excess of 800 mg/dl.

My fiance, who is a senior scientist at NYU Langone's Pandemic Response Lab and has worked in mRNA vaccine development, hypothesized that this was, in fact, the spike-protein concentrating in my kidneys (and drawing inflammation with it). The good news is that with IV fluids and rest, my urine protein returned to normal at 48 hours and my fever went away. Needless to say, we reported this exceptional reaction to VAERS in hopes that others might be better prepared.

However, given my reaction, both my partner and doctor have advised that I not receive an mRNA booster moving forward. Of relevance to those of us in this forum: given my extreme reaction to the spike protein, my partner connected with some of his colleagues regarding spike-protein toxicity and has raised some concerns about mRNA-induced spike proteins and blood brain barrier permeability in people with impaired BBB function (like those of us with the APOE4 gene). This is because, even though the vaccine-induced spike protein is rapidly cleared by the body (even when generated in extreme excess like mine), we don't know if this would be true of the brain.

While he does not believe that a one or two-time insult is likely to generate lasting inflammation in the brain (if indeed BBB permeability is an issue with lipid-bound mRNA vaccines), he has strongly advised my mom and I to hold off on mRNA boosters until more research is done to assess long term effects on people with the APOE4 gene or who otherwise have impaired BBB integrity.

To be clear, this is NOT me advocating that you not get the vaccine (inspiring any type of anti-vaxx sentiment would be my worst nightmare). You should absolutely get the vaccine, and I'm still glad I did despite what I went through. That said, it's worthwhile to keep your eyes peeled for emerging research that might shape what boosters we choose to get further down the road.
Last edited by DistinguishedHeathen on Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DistinguishedHeathen
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, i did not realize I was making repeat posts. Any idea how to delete these excess posts?
Last edited by DistinguishedHeathen on Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DistinguishedHeathen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, I'm here with an update: In short, after the second dose, things got really rough for me.

I received the second dose of the Moderna vaccine on 3/6. Twelve hours later, I awoke with severe kidney pain and a fever of 103.4. Over the course of the night, my fever responded to Tylenol (dropping to 100.2), but the kidney pain continued to mount. I went to the ER and found I was excreting protein in my urine in excess of 800 mg/dl.

My fiance, who is a senior scientist at NYU Langone's Pandemic Response Lab and has worked in mRNA vaccine development, hypothesized that this was, in fact, the spike-protein concentrating in my kidneys (and drawing inflammation with it). The good news is, that with IV fluids and rest, my urine protein returned to normal at 48 hours and my fever went away. Needless to say, we reported this exceptional reaction to VAERS in hopes that others might be better prepared.

However, given my reaction, both my partner and doctor have advised that I not receive an mRNA booster moving forward. Of relevance to those of us in this forum: given my extreme reaction to the spike protein, my partner connected with some of his colleagues regarding spike-protein toxicity and has raised some concerns about mRNA-induced spike proteins and blood brain barrier permeability in people with impaired BBB function (like those of us with the APOE4 gene). This is because, even though the vaccine-induced spike protein is rapidly cleared by the body (even when generated in extreme excess like mine), we don't know if this would be true of the brain.

While he does not believe that a one or two-time insult is likely to generate lasting inflammation in the brain (if indeed BBB permeability is an issue with lipid-bound mRNA vaccines), he has strongly advised my mom and I to hold off on mRNA boosters until more research is done to assess long term effects on people with the APOE4 gene or who otherwise have impaired BBB integrity.

To be clear, this is NOT me advocating that you not get the vaccine (in fact, inspiring any type of anti-vaxx sentiment would be my worst nightmare). You should absolutely get the vaccine, and I'm still glad I did despite what I went through. That said, it's worthwhile to keep your eyes peeled for emerging research that might shape what boosters we choose to get further down the road.