New Chinese study on protein intake and cognition

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

New Chinese study on protein intake and cognition

Post by SusanJ »

Interaction between APOE ε4 and dietary protein intake on cognitive decline: A longitudinal cohort study
We observed significant interactions of APOE ε4 with DDPI [Diverse Dietary Protein Intake] and fish intake, at multiple correction-adjusted Ps < 0.05. In those who were APOE ε4 carriers rather than non-carriers, both high DDPI (OR = 0.54, 95% CI: 0.34–0.88) and daily fish intake (OR = 0.43, 95% CI: 0.22–0.78) were significantly associated with slower cognitive decline, respectively. We also found that frequent intake of fish benefits women more than men regarding the mitigating of cognitive decline among APOE ε4 allele carriers (P for interaction = 0.016).
Abstract here.

We also know that results can vary between race and ethnicity. Hope this study gets done with broader populations.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New Chinese study on protein intake and cognition

Post by NewRon »

Interesting, SusanJ, thanks!

When they say "...and daily fish intake...", do they mean that the Apo E4's in the study that ate only fish every day, had a slower cognitive decline, or does it mean that those people ate more fish in general, wrt the others in the study?

Not sure if I'm being clear here!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

NewRon wrote:When they say "...and daily fish intake...", do they mean that the Apo E4's in the study that ate only fish every day, had a slower cognitive decline, or does it mean that those people ate more fish in general, wrt the others in the study?
I can't get to the full article to answer your question. SciHub doesn't seem to have access to it ATM.

That said, I read this as E4s who ate fish daily and also ate varied protein sources had better cognition.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Thanks, SusanJ.

I think it's relevant, though, as current rec's seem to suggest only one or two fish meals per week.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60