new way to get sulfurophane

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

new way to get sulfurophane

Post by Berri »

Have any of you researched sulfurophane and broccoli sprouts? Here is an ad I received and I'd love the opinion of the many smart people in this site.

https://www.trybrocelite.com/the-art-of ... n=03262021
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: new way to get sulfurophane

Post by NF52 »

Berri wrote:Have any of you researched sulfurophane and broccoli sprouts? Here is an ad I received and I'd love the opinion of the many smart people in this site.

Hi Berri!
I'm always a little hesitant to click on a link for a product ad, wondering if I'll find myself "winning a contest" or getting some spam email. Imagine my surprise when. I discovered that this is a product marketed (not produced, I am sure) by a relatively new company located near my local Wegmans superstore's complex in a location that must be hidden from the road among restaurants, hair salons, a pet store etc. And having no knowledge of sulfurophane (you get mega points for this knowledge at age 85!), I found this in Google Scholar in a 2021 review: I highlighted the first sentence, which I think is cautionary, and the last, which is hopeful!
Many sulforaphane supplements on the market are prepared in various ways from cruciferous plants, and the dosage, safety, and efficacy have not been verified...Evidences from several animal- and cell-based studies indicate the need to pursue sulforaphane research in pre-symptomatic AD patients, which is challenging.... Genetic polymorphism, intestinal microbiome, and body mass index (BMI) may affect the bioavailability of sulforaphane from cruciferous vegetable consumption... and through detailed follow-up studies, predictable response groups of sulforaphane might be selected for randomized controlled trial. The increase in pre-clinical evidence consistently suggests that sulforaphane has a multi-faceted neuroprotective effect on AD pathophysiology and prevents the progression of the disease.
Pre-Clinical Neuroprotective Evidences and Plausible Mechanisms of Sulforaphane in Alzheimer’s Disease

Sounds like the jury's out on its benefit or the effective dose. But you have the benefit of great longevity, so do what feel right to you!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

Thank you, dear friend.

I've been away from this wonderful website far too long. In November I came over from Seattle to a little town on the WA peninsula to shelter from Covid. The very first week, I fell and broke my left wrist. So I spent the fall and winter recovering, then decided I like it so much here that I went back to Seattle for three weeks to get my condo ready for the market. (Wish me luck.) I might be totally insane because in four years the landlords for my little cottage will want to move in. Probably by the time, though, I'll be looking at assisted living anyway.

I am, in fact, just starting to unpack boxes so will have to read the rest of the info later -- I am tripping over things and would rather not break another bone :-)

Nice to hear from you and I do hope you are well and happy. And that you've had both your vaccinations. I am a month out from my second. Yeah!!

Best and warmest regards, Berri/Allie
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Berri wrote:Have any of you researched sulfurophane and broccoli sprouts? Here is an ad I received and I'd love the opinion of the many smart people in this site.

Hi Berri, I listened to a webinar recently where there was a lot of talk about Sulforophane. Apparently (though I cannot cite the references since I didn’t write them down) sulforophane has been shown to have wide-ranging benefits in a lot studies including human memory studies. Whether it is right for everyone is something I also can’t comment on, but I did check the link you posted and was struck by this sentence:
....most common way is growing and juicing broccoli sprouts because they contain the two precursors needed to make sulforaphane in high amounts: myrosinase and glucoraphanin. ³

The reason that caught my attention was that I had just written down that the best way to supplement sulforophane was with glucoraphanin + myrosinase. So at least in terms of making the sulforophane bio available, this supplement seems to get it right.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

Thank you, Floramaria, I'm thinking I'll try it.

Berri
rws
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rws »

It's sulfOrAphane for best search results. What has been shown in clinical trials with broccoli extract so far is the cancer-prevention effect. This is absolutely supported by the biochemistry which has been clarified completely in recent years. In particular, sulforaphane acts on the Keap1 regulator which switches on/off the cell's antioxidant defense, thus decreasing inflammation processes that in the long-term increase cancer risk. If you buy in the neuroinflammation hypothesis of Alzheimer's then broccoli/sulforaphane is the logical answer.

Regards,
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

I was using Prostophane supplements, available via chilled transport in the EU. As far as I know, it's the only stabilised sulforaphane available world wide according to Dr Jed Fahey. Perhaps an email to Dr Rhonda Patrick or Dr Fahey would be helpful, if you were intent on taking this product. Here's his very recent recent interview with Dr Rhonda Patrick;

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/jed-fahey-q-a

Then I found Kuli Kuli moringa (Prof Jed Fahey) on iHerb. Oh JOY! Then a few weeks later I find, iHerb are discontinuing it, apparently because they want to get it cheaper than Kuli Kuli can supply it. Tragic.

I've always been delighted by the low prices offered by iHerb, but this is the other side of that deal!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Sara Barthel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sara Barthel »

NewRon wrote:I was using Prostophane supplements, available via chilled transport in the EU. As far as I know, it's the only stabilised sulforaphane available world wide according to Dr Jed Fahey. Perhaps an email to Dr Rhonda Patrick or Dr Fahey would be helpful, if you were intent on taking this product. Here's his very recent recent interview with Dr Rhonda Patrick;

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/jed-fahey-q-a

Then I found Kuli Kuli moringa (Prof Jed Fahey) on iHerb. Oh JOY! Then a few weeks later I find, iHerb are discontinuing it, apparently because they want to get it cheaper than Kuli Kuli can supply it. Tragic.

I've always been delighted by the low prices offered by iHerb, but this is the other side of that deal!
Thanks for sharing this Dr. Ron, I was also going to recommend Dr. Rhonda Patrick because she has done so much research in this area! Dr. Deanna Minich also has, and her work shows that the best way to maximize sulforaphane is to lightly steam broccoli for 2-3 minutes with a sprinkle of mustard powder. Adding powdered mustard seed increases the bioavailability of sulforaphane more than 4x compared to eating cooked broccoli alone! Cooking broccoli inactivates the enzyme (called myrosinase) that converts glucoraphanin into sulforaphane but mustard seed powder provides a viable source of the enzyme myrosinase that can be sprinkled on top of the broccoli during or after it is cooked.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Sara Barthel wrote:
NewRon wrote: Thanks for sharing this Dr. Ron
Not a doctor!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60