Menopause transition and Apoe4 carriers

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
ChristinaA
Contributor
Contributor

Menopause transition and Apoe4 carriers

Post by ChristinaA »

Hello fellow Apoe 4 carriers, I wanted to share this new paper from Dr. Mosconi and her team on menopause transition and how it effects women's brains and how apoe4 carriers tend to accumulate more AB plaque during peri menopause. Very interesting. I wonder if the lack of glucose metabolism and low estrogen during the menopuase transition is a recipe for AB plaque for apoe 4 carriers.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-90084-y
Knowledge is power!
Kitkat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Menopause transition and Apoe4 carriers

Post by Kitkat »

Thank you for this link, ChristinaA. I've read both Mosconi's Brain Food and her The XX Brain. Her position on bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for APOE4 women is very unclear. While she advocates that women in perimenopause and menopause adopt lifestyle and nutrition strategies to preserve cognition (all of her recommendations are consistent with those found in the Primer here), she declines to weigh in on whether HRT is a good idea and alludes in passing to the notion that HRT might NOT be a good idea for APOE4 women. I'm 53. Given that evidence suggests that there is a narrow window of time within which women can benefit cognitively from HRT (the window is within a short time prior to or after menopause), I decided to begin HRT at the age of 51, anticipating I would soon enter menopause (which did indeed occur the following year). I wish Mosconi or other researchers would design a study tailored more precisely to APOE4 menopausal women so that we had some sense of whether HRT will preserve or damage cognition for us. As I've noted in a post elsewhere, there is a study that suggests that for APOE4 women, HRT preserves telomere length.