Any Results from Clinical Trial NCT04149639

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
clkincolo
Contributor
Contributor

Any Results from Clinical Trial NCT04149639

Post by clkincolo »

I read the preprint of the results from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03883633. I also note the trial https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04149639. I wonder if there are any results from this similar trial?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Any Results from Clinical Trial NCT04149639

Post by Julie G »

I read the preprint of the results from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03883633. I also note the trial https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04149639. I wonder if there are any results from this similar trial?
You can find early results from the trial here. It's particularly interesting to compare to the aducanumab results (recently approved by the FDA). I think the peer-reviewed paper is slated to appear in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease in the next few months.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

Julie G wrote:You can find early results from the trial here. It's particularly interesting to compare to the aducanumab results (recently approved by the FDA). I think the peer-reviewed paper is slated to appear in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease in the next few months.
image.png
You know what I would have liked to see in the report of the trial's results? A supplementary table showing which intervention each participant had, or perhaps a figure showing how many patients had interventions in how many areas and how that correlated to the degree of improvement. Do people who have more interventions do better (because they are covering more aspects of their condition), or do they do worse (perhaps because they were worse off at recruitment)?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Here's the preprint the OP clkincolo mentioned.

But I'm a bit confused. This preprint is saying it that the study warrants are larger study of Dr. Bredesen's presision medicine approach, but I thought there was alreay one in progress or completed at Cleveland Clinic with about 100 participants. (I've been wanting to check on that but my squirrely brain hasn't landed on that task yet.) Are they hoping to get an even larger trail going? What am I missing?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Quantifier wrote:
Julie G wrote:You can find early results from the trial here. It's particularly interesting to compare to the aducanumab results (recently approved by the FDA). I think the peer-reviewed paper is slated to appear in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease in the next few months.
image.png
You know what I would have liked to see in the report of the trial's results? A supplementary table showing which intervention each participant had, or perhaps a figure showing how many patients had interventions in how many areas and how that correlated to the degree of improvement. Do people who have more interventions do better (because they are covering more aspects of their condition), or do they do worse (perhaps because they were worse off at recruitment)?
In theory (???), it also would seem possible that an individual on a lot of interventions who may not do as well could have "underperformed" due to adverse downstream affects of one intervention or another, say a supplement dosage that interfered with some other critical pathway in that individual's unique makeup. I'm really making this up. On the flip side, I remember from some years back that Dr. Bredesen found that people improved on his program, even the earliest iteration(s) of it, when they couldn't implement all the protocols.

My understanding is that this is why it can be so hard to launch precision medicine trials such as Dr. Bredesen and others are pursuing. There are so many variables and the established clinical trial protocols aren't amenable to that. I hope they can find ways to parse them all out, but I'm content, in the face of dementia, knowing when there is improvement with no harm, even if one or more variables were, under the hood, ineffective in the context of overall improvement.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

Yes, I agree it is not a trivial matter. I'm looking forward to the outcomes of Coaching for Cognition in Alzheimer's (COCOA) because they are analyzing lots of biochemical and other molecular data - see Coaching for Cognition in Alzheimer’s (COCOA) Clinical Trial Nearly Complete
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I think we can expect to see that in the peer-reviewed paper. As you know, this is just a preprint.
But I'm a bit confused. This preprint is saying it that the study warrants are larger study of Dr. Bredesen's presision medicine approach, but I thought there was alreay one in progress or completed at Cleveland Clinic with about 100 participants. (I've been wanting to check on that but my squirrely brain hasn't landed on that task yet.) Are they hoping to get an even larger trail going? What am I missing?
Maybe you are thinking of the 100 person case study report found here? The new trial will be another clinical trial; this time with 100 people.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:
But I'm a bit confused. This preprint is saying it that the study warrants are larger study of Dr. Bredesen's presision medicine approach, but I thought there was already one in progress or completed at Cleveland Clinic with about 100 participants. (I've been wanting to check on that but my squirrely brain hasn't landed on that task yet.) Are they hoping to get an even larger trail going? What am I missing?
Maybe you are thinking of the 100 person case study report found here? The new trial will be another clinical trial; this time with 100 people.
Ah, thanks, I see the difference now. I'm so grateful to Dr. Bredesen for sticking with all this. How wonderful that he or someone found a backer for the current trials.