Both High (>10.6) and Low (<8.9) Homocysteine May Increase the Risk of AD

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Both High (>10.6) and Low (<8.9) Homocysteine May Increase the Risk of AD

Post by Jlhughette »

SusanJ wrote:
Jlhughette wrote:I have been as high as 12 when not taking methylated B12 but have only gotten to 9.6 with methylated B12. All my other metabolic numbers and ratios are very good. My Bredesen practitioner wants homocysteine much lower.
Homocysteine is normally recycled by the MTR (which uses B12) enzyme and BHMT (which needs trimethylglycine, TMG, and zinc).

B12 might have pushed the MTR pathway to lower your value some, but if you have problems in your choline pathway, or don't get enough choline, then BHMT is not doing it's job so well.

I have variants in the choline pathway that suggest my BHMT might be part of the problem. I lowered mine to 7.2 (from 10.4) using 400 mcg folate, 500 mcg B12, 4 mg B6 and 500 mg TMG (I use Life Extension TMG). I am homozygote for MTHFR rs1801133 (folate conversion), NBPF3 rs4654748 (B12 conversion), and FUT2 rs602662 (B6 conversion), which effect homocysteine recycling, but didn't get it down until I added TMG to manage the choline conversion
If you have genetic testing results, it's worth looking at the methylation wiki to see if any are problematic for you or go directly to the hacking homocysteine section.
Thanks SusanJ, I do indeed have many of the variants you mention. I remember reading about this a few years ago on this forum when I was primarily researching for my sister, who has early AD and LBD, and now I am doing the same for myself. It’s vitally helpful to be reminded.
Hughette
3/4