COVID-19 RNA Based Vaccines and the Risk of Prion Disease

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: COVID-19 RNA Based Vaccines and the Risk of Prion Disease

Post by Julie G »

I have nothing to add regarding prion disease, I was drawn into the thread because of the “shut-up, take it, do what you’re told, and don’t ask questions” which I objected to because it is divisive and therefore counter productive. I will only take any medication for sound medical reasons and bullying would only make people more wary. This whole episode has been marked with deceit from certain quarters and shutting down discussion.
Dod, I assume that you're not referring to this site with your characterization? Looking back, I don't see “shut-up, take it, do what you’re told, and don’t ask questions” but rather lots of respectful back and forth (until recently) which is something that we've always encouraged. The mods have, however, decided to tighten up on several aspects of our community guidelines as outlined here.
Will the moderation team delete the New York Times too?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/24/tech ... d=tw-share
I can assure you that if anything in this thread has been deleted, it was because of the "way it was said" (violation of Community Guidelines) as opposed to "what was said."

Please know that I'm full of gratitude for our moderation, support team and interns, many of whom are also working full-time. They show up every day trying to keep this resource running. Please be nice, kids. We created something cool. Don't break it.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

ApropoE4 wrote:Will the moderation team delete the New York Times too?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/24/tech ... d=tw-share
As a Mod that deleted content in this thread, in my post here I stated, "Everybody is entitled to their opinion.... You have every right to disagree, but not to label." The the poster was creating a hostile environment with their choice of language.

As our Community Guidelines state:

Respect. All posts and private messages should be courteous. Disagree with ideas, not people. You may not attack, insult, undermine, or belittle anyone. This broad prohibition extends beyond other members and this community to the world at large.

The posts were deleted because they violated Community Guidelines, not because of the position they took.
Tincup
E3,E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

I've been able to view the 2021 Alzheimer's Association International Conference (AAIC) virtually this week, and plan to share several reports I saw on the forum. Here is a summary from MedPage today of a talk from yesterday. Note that the researchers refer to toxic-metabolic encephalopathy (TME) in patients, which resonates with anyone who knows Dr. Bredesen's views on toxic and inflammatory contributors to cognitive impairment and risk of Alzheimers and other dementia.

This talk is from an ongoing international consortium of
scientific leaders, including the Alzheimer’s Association and representatives from more than 25 countries — with technical guidance from the WHO —[who] formed an international, multidisciplinary consortium to collect and evaluate the short- and long-term consequences of the viral infection on the central nervous system (CNS), as well as the differences across countries on the viral impact of COVID-19. This study aims to better understand the long-term consequences that may impact the brain, cognition and function — including underlying biology that may contribute to Alzheimer’s and other dementia....This study will enroll two groups of individuals:
People with confirmed cases of COVID-19 from hospitals that have been discharged. They will be evaluated for follow up evaluations at 6, 9 and 18 months. People who are enrolled in existing international research studies to add additional measures and markers of their underlying biology.
https://www.alz.org/research/for_resear ... rain-study

The talk had data from Amerindian Argentinians living in the Andes, and people in Greece and NYC., so duly noted that it doesn't cover everyone, in all locations and at all ages and circumstances.
Wisniewski and colleagues evaluated plasma biomarkers total tau (t-tau), neurofilament light (NfL), glial fibrillary acid protein (GFAP), ubiquitin carboxyl-terminal hydrolase L1 (UCH-L1), and species of amyloid beta (Aβ40, Aβ42) and phosphorylated tau (ptau-181) -- indicators of injury in the brain, neuroinflammation, and Alzheimer's disease -- in COVID-19 patients.

The researchers assessed plasma samples from 310 patients admitted to New York University Langone Health. All were positive for SARS-CoV-2: 158 people had neurological symptoms and 152 did not. People with new neurologic symptoms were older (median age 71 versus 63).

The most common neurological symptom was confusion due to toxic-metabolic encephalopathy (TME), which accounted for 51% of new neurologic diagnoses.
Tau, NfL, UCH-L1, and GFAP also significantly correlated with inflammation markers, including C-reactive peptide. This may suggest inflammation-related blood-brain barrier disruption accompanying neuronal or glial injury, Wisniewski noted.

"These findings indicate that patients who had COVID-19 may have an acceleration of Alzheimer's-related symptoms and pathology, but that clearly needs longer follow-up," he said.

Post-COVID Cognitive Decline and Health

In the study from Vavougios's [Greek] group, which also was part of the global SARS-CoV-2 consortium, researchers studied cognitive impairment and health measures in 32 previously hospitalized mild to moderate COVID-19 patients 2 months after discharge. Participants had a mean age of 62 and no history of neurodegenerative disease or stroke before SARS-CoV-2 infection.

More than half (56.2%) of participants presented with cognitive decline, as indicated by a MoCA score under 24. Predominant patterns of cognitive impairment were short-term memory impairments or multi-domain impairment without short-term memory deficits.

Worse cognitive test scores correlated with higher age, waist circumference, and waist-to-hip ratio. Worse memory and thinking scores were independently associated with lower oxygen saturation levels during a 6-minute walk test, after adjusting for age and sex.

"A brain deprived of oxygen is not healthy, and persistent deprivation may very well contribute to cognitive difficulties," Vavougios observed. "These data suggest some common biological mechanisms between COVID-19's dyscognitive spectrum and post-COVID-19 fatigue that have been anecdotally reported over the last several months."
4/4 and still an optimist!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for sharing, NF52. It's very sad to see the growing correlation between cognitive decline and COVID-19. Here is more from that presentation: COVID-19: Persistent Cognitive Effects, Uptick in Alzheimer's Biomarkers. Despite being vaccinated Dr. Bredesen and his wife are now infected with COVID- no picnic. Please send some good energy their way.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

NF52, I echo Julie's thanks for sharing this information. It is, indeed, very sad. I notice that these studies are referring to COVID-19 patients who have been hospitalized. I hope I don't sound like a broken record, but ideally, hospitalization would have been avoided in most cases by using early treatment. Of course, early treatment wouldn't work for everyone. No treatment ever does.

Julie, thanks for sharing the unfortunate news that Dr. Bredesen and his wife are sick with COVID. I'll definitely send good energy their way.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Julie G wrote:Despite being vaccinated Dr. Bredesen and his wife are now infected with COVID- no picnic. Please send some good energy their way.
So sorry to hear about Dr. Bredesen and his wife. Sending prayers and healing thoughts their way.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

What are some of those early treatments that are not being given to patients despite being proven highly effective in preventing hospitalization?
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

The fact check pertains to the deleted post. I'm going to let it remain as ApropoE4's post and my own deletion of the misinformation crossed. Remember everyone, the burden of proof is on those who want to make a NON-MAINSTREAM claim. We're looking for complete, traceable, scientifically solid information here, not lawsuits based on the speculation and interpretation of anonymous parties.

Conspiracy theorizing is not welcome here.