Cholesterol drives Alzheimer's plaque formation

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Cholesterol drives Alzheimer's plaque formation

Post by Julie G »

But even with the emphases, if no one is claiming that a high fat diet increases the liver's output of AB, then consider my question null and void, if not me too :lol: ;)
You'll never be "null and void" in my estimation. FWIW, I think the concept came from a quote w/i the PR.
In addition, dietary modifications such as lowering consumption of high-fat foods, could "potentially" slow production of these proteins in the liver, thus reducing blood levels and preventing them from accumulating in the brain, he said.
For this study, Mamo and his colleagues used mice capable of producing human amyloid-beta in their livers.
In the mice, the researchers saw that the protein was carried in the blood by triglyceride-rich lipoproteins, which are also produced by the liver, to the brain, just as they do in humans.
Given that the amyloid was carried by triglycerides, perhaps I mistakenly assumed that if triglycerides were low, the amyloid burden would be as well. As usual, think we have more to learn...