Glad to find this community

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
SGW811
Contributor
Contributor

Glad to find this community

Post by SGW811 »

Hello, I am a 54 y.o. female homozygous for e4. I had genetic testing done without my knowledge and consent (long story) and learned this information about 10 months ago. I'm now under the care of an integrated neurology team that has given me advice regarding diet, exercise, sleep, social and cognitive engagement, and the like. I'm always looking for information that can help me to reduce my risk of AD so very happy to find the information collected here and to join a community with others dealing with the same concerns. I'm normal weight; been exercising intensely (aerobic and weight lifting) nearly every day for the last 25 years; now trying to follow a Mediterranean diet with intermittent fasting as well ; moderately hyperlipidemic and with fasting blood sugars higher than I'd like (96-99) but also a good ratio with very high HDL (over 90). I had 19 ears of education (college plus law degree) but have been out of the work force for the last 16 years. I definitely have had heightened anxiety since learning about my e4/e4 status but am slowly learning to "live with it" and feel more optimistic about the potential for lifestyle changes to lower risk. Meeting with a very smart cardiologist this week to discuss starting a statin, although I'm aware there's no research yet about whether statins lower the risk. Hoping to find knowledge and support among you, and contribute the same. Peace to all.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Glad to find this community

Post by KatieS »

Welcome SGW, definitely you have tapped into good advise upon the genetic discovery and have established good exercise, diet and weight control. Many of us would be concerned about the higher than 91 for the fasting glucose level. Do you know what your A1c (the 3-month average glucose) level is? Stavia, a 4/4 physician has written an excellent primer which guides you why you need to focus on controlling glucose over cholesterol levels, as well as the multitude of issues.

However, cholesterol treatment is weighed on many factors such as other cardiovascular risk factors(hypertension, sleep apnea, family history, etc..) and/or evidence of current disease such as a coronary calcium scan and/or the more subjective reading of the carotid intimate measurements on an ultrasound. A few of us, including me, are on a statin due to these above factors. Recent studies debated in previous posts that might support statins. Statins work more by decreasing inflammation as opposed to just decreasing the LDL cholesterol. You might consider having the inflammatory marker (C-Reactive Protein) checked.

You might want to review the primer's menopausal hormonal therapy information.
SGW811
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Glad to find this community

Post by SGW811 »

Thank you Katie. I will definitely read the primer. I do have many extended family members with diabetes (aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins) so I have always been concerned about sugars and insulin resistance but I confess that I have a sugar addiction and this is an area I will really need to work hard to address -- but I am motivated to do so. Also have a significant family history of heart disease. This is why I've been an over-the-top exerciser for most of my adult life. When I received the test results of e4/e4, in the same lab results CRP was less than 0.3, A1c was 5.4. CT calcium score was 0. I am in full menopause now for 18 months and was advised by the neurologist not to do hormone supplementation.