lol's introduction

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
lol
Contributor
Contributor

lol's introduction

Post by lol »

I was playing in a golf tournament the day I discovered my 4/4 status. Quickly checked my e-mails and saw that my 23&me results were in. Running late, didn't read/listen to the warnings. Clicked on to my 4/4 result. Went out the door like a zombie, not quite understanding what I had just read. I just wanted to know my percentage of Native American blood, not a 4/4 result - which I had never heard of. After reading more and more about APOE, shock and then depression. Me? No way. I have been running for 40 years, healthy, lean, athletic. Yes, high cholesterol, but under control with statins. And I am sharp, at 62 years old. I have a very intuitive kind of intelligence which has served me well. I play on a bridge team, for gods sake. Shocking and depressing next couple of months.
So, moving on to some positives. I took up golf after my younger sports were no longer appropriate. After my diagnosis, I have been starting to score in the 70s. Why? It is no longer that important to me. I don't berate myself for mistakes and get emotional. I am calm and focused. Just a game. It is like that with almost everything now. I forgive and forget my own mistakes. Same with the mistakes made by my friends and family; I just love them. Period.
And, I am eating and sleeping better. I am also grateful to be in touch with other 4/4s. It helps.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: lol's introduction

Post by Julie G »

LOL, so happy to see you here :-) In many ways, you're leaps ahead of many who get the same news. You are athletic. You seek out intellectual stimulation. You're social and active- all good. There's even evidence that high cholesterol may be neuroprotective.

I agree. Meeting with other e4's also helps a lot. I look forward to learning with you. I've known of my 4/4 status for over a year. Time helps, my friend. It gets easier...
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Lol, I know we were diagnosed around the same time and it was hard.

The biggest benefit for me was trying to not put off things anymore. We went camping a month ago for the first time, something that I know previously,I would have put off till next summer. Live for today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Hello LoL!

I'm happy to see you've signed up here and to hear from you again. :)

I agree with Julie. It sounds like your athleticism and active mind puts you in a very good position. I encourage you again to read Dr. Perlmutter's book, "Grain Brain" which offers some very helpful/hopeful information as well as encouraging stories of his own patients. He's had patients, even in their late 70's, turn around their dementia (which you and I don't even have). I think there's more within your control than you know.

Again. Good to see you. And keep golfing and bridging :D
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

On Dr P. Julie I know you love him and many do. I saw someone really give him a scathing review in the Daily Apple forums. What they said made sense or maybe it was because they just came across as being smarter than me. I saved the link and will post it here as Id like to hear feedback on what this poster said. Sorry, off topic.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Post away...sounds juicy. I'd like to see their academic issues.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

why would there be anything to be negative about?

Ancestral Allele ApoE4: Super Brain Power, Fertility, Lipophilic Immunity
http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.ca/2011 ... brain.html

"On Dr P. Julie I know you love him and many do. I saw someone really give him a scathing review in the Daily Apple forums. What they said made sense or maybe it was because they just came across as being smarter than me"

after I read what DrP is about I have little confidence in him.. he knows something but what he does not know is going to kill ya just like drinking the cool-aid of being a follower.