Need input into my lipids please

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
TCat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Need input into my lipids please

Post by TCat »

Just received my results for Lp(a) and I not sure how to compare it to the previous number.

I’ve checked it back in April of last year – it was 114 mg/dL (bad, I know, but down from 171 mg/dL a year prior). My new Lp(a) is 215 nmol/L.

According to the conversion sites, to convert Lp(a) from mg/dL to umol/L you have to multiply it by 0.0357 (and then, I guess, just divide by 1,000 to get to nmol/L) but that does not give me the right numbers.

And according to guidelines (Lp(a) should be <30 mg/dl or <75 nmol/L) the factor is about 2.5

I found another site that says nmol/l can be converted to mg/dl by dividing it by 2.8 in which case my new Lp(a) is 77mg/dL or my old one is 320 nmol/L.

Does it look right? Please help…
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Its about times 2.5 to get from mg/dL to nmol/l
so therefore your 215nmol is around 86 mg/dL according to my calculations...anyone else?
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

high dose niacin will get it down might cause other problems tho
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

Stavia wrote:Its about times 2.5 to get from mg/dL to nmol/l
so therefore your 215nmol is around 86 mg/dL according to my calculations...anyone else?
That's the rule of thumb I use. My understanding is that 2.5 is an average conversion, but the true value depends on the density. I think that most labs have shifted to nmol in recent years if they weren't already using it.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

GenePoole0304 wrote:high dose niacin will get it down might cause other problems tho
It all depends if you think its damaging in itself or an innocuous marker of other derangement.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

TCat- congrats on getting your Lp(a) down! That's typically pretty hard to do. What was your approach?

My guess is that you're already working with a good cardiologist, but I recently learned from Thumperama that Dr. Dayspring has a particular interest in Lp(a) and will answer questions for free. PM Thumperama for more info.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

Stavia wrote:
GenePoole0304 wrote:high dose niacin will get it down might cause other problems tho
It all depends if you think its damaging in itself or an innocuous marker of other derangement.

Lp(a) being high is the patching material I think used to repair arterial breaks and the ends up as plaque so it is a risk factor no doubt about it and something worth trying to correct.
But one should consider all ones risk markers. There is risk in treatment to as ones homo-cysteine can go up and BG levels can also go up and of course ones methylation will get messed up, and just don't expect your doc to be able to help you figure it out unless one is lucky to have an informed one who knows how to treat it.

there are two ways to measure Lp(a) and I don't think there is a conversion factor from one method to the other so you need to read more about it.
TCat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCat »

I am still not sure why all conversion sites say that conversion from mg/dL to umol/L is .0357 (http://www.soc-bdr.org/rds/authors/unit ... ex_en.html) while conversion from mg/dL to nmol/L seems to be 2.5 (2.8 ?). American College of Cardiology says it is 2.8 but it might be a typo: http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.a ... 0431#bib15

Julie, I am not working with a cardiologist as I do not have any known heart issues. Last year my new GP (old one had a heart attack and had to stop working :o) sent me to check carotid arteries – no issue, all clean. I’ve not done any other tests and do not take statins.

On rare occasion that I did go to a doctor for a checkup, I’ve always had somewhat bad lipid numbers. It puzzled me (I am eating OK, better than most people I know) but not enough to do anything about it. In Nov 2012 I had first Lp(a) test and the result scared me – it was 194 mg/dL. I’ve tightened up my diet, got gym membership (notice I did not say I started going there ;-)), lost couple of pounds.

Did another test in August of 2013 – Lp(a) was 176 mg/dL. About that time I’ve got 23andme APOE surprise. After shock wore off, I’ve actually started going to the gym, tightened diet some more, added bunch of supplements (most of what you see on the MEND list), lost few more pounds and started taking Niacin. Lately I’ve also added intermittent fasting to my routine. I’ve increased Niacin dose slowly and now take 1,500 mg once/day of over-the-counter Niacin (http://www.naturalfactors.com/caen/prod ... vitamin-b3). As far the side effects, I’ve noticed dryness of skin and my homocysteine went up, according to this last test.

So now I have to figure out if I want to take more Niacin and, perhaps, increase dose of B vitamins I am taking now (http://www.aor.ca/products-page/advanced/maxmethyl-4) as it might help with homocysteine. :?:

LDL-C 160
HDL-C 56
Triglycerides 125
Total Cholesterol 241
Lp(a) 114 mg/dL (285 nmol/L ?)
CRP 5.71
Homocysteine 8.2
Hb A1C 5.6

LDL-C 141
HDL-C 63
Triglycerides 95
Total Cholesterol 223
Lp(a) 215nmol/L
CRP 1.59
Homocysteine 10.8
Hb A1C 5.3
Last edited by TCat on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

if homocysteine goes up try hydrocabalim b-12 folate

http://www.lipoproteinafoundation.org/
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Quickly checking in, but couldn't resist...WOW TCat, huge improvements!!! Kudos :D You are doing a terrific job, but please keep Dr. Dayspring in mind as a resource re the Lp(a). He may have some advice re. the elevation in homocysteine resulting from the niacin.