Need input into my lipids please

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Need input into my lipids please

Post by Ski »

My apologies, I misread your statement where I thought you said "I couldnt take a statin" versus what you said...."I couldnt think".
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

All good :)
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pgf54 »

Stavia with regard to your results , i like to try and understand these things to keep my brain working.

Am i right that you are hyperabsorbing beta sitosterol and if so what would someone in your position do..(hypothetically)

Some of the current foods we eat are high in beta sitosterol , see list........http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000 ... 00000.html

Would reducing intake of these foods help? or is Zetia the only option. It looks like this has side effects too..........I understand it does something to the Neiman Pick c absorption cells ?to prevent absorption.......

Would increasing psyllium intake have any effect on someone who is a hyperabsorber? Just wondered, bear with my curious mind lol

I also found this article...........http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dietary- ... .....which contains the following paragraphs....

Sitosterolemia (Phytosterolemia)
Sitosterolemia, also known as phytosterolemia, is a very rare hereditary disease that results from inheriting a mutation in both copies of the ABCG5 or ABCG8 gene (99). Individuals who are homozygous for a mutation in either transporter protein have dramatically elevated serum phytosterol concentrations due to increased intestinal absorption and decreased biliary excretion of phytosterols. Although serum cholesterol concentrations may be normal or only mildly elevated, individuals with sitosterolemia are at high risk for premature atherosclerosis. People with sitosterolemia should avoid foods or supplements with added plant sterols (10). Two studies have examined the effect of plant sterol consumption in heterozygous carriers of sitosterolemia, a more common condition. Consumption of 3 g/day of plant sterols for four weeks by two heterozygous carriers (100) and consumption of 2.2 g/day of plant sterols for 6-12 weeks by 12 heterozygous carriers did not result in abnormally elevated serum phytosterols (101).

Which seems relevent and i am sure you have probably already read/seen .....
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Fascinating test. I'm with pgf above, what can/will you do re: the high beta sitosterol? I'm really hoping to take this test in the next year. On a positive note, your results overall were quite acceptable.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Would reducing intake of these foods help?
Maybe, but Stavia mentioned she doesn't have any exaggerated response to dietary fat, so probably not in her case. Supposedly most of your cholesterol re-absorption is from your own bodies production not consumption.
or is Zetia the only option. It looks like this has side effects too..........I understand it does something to the Neiman Pick c absorption cells ?to prevent absorption.......
Go find me a drug that doesnt have side effects listed. The odds are very small someone would experience any on Zetia.
Would increasing psyllium intake have any effect on someone who is a hyperabsorber? Just wondered, bear with my curious mind lol
Maybe, it has made a pretty big difference in me.

Thats why I believe these tests are merely a guideline because even between 2 hyperabsorbers, you can have vastly different responses.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks guys. I am hyperabsorbing the cholesterol in my gut, 85% of which is made by my liver, 15% of which is from my food. The sitosterol is just a marker of that and not the issue in itself. The issue is my high LDL which is caused by the hyperabsorbtion of ALL sterol molecules.
DrD said that this was why apoe4s have high LDL particle count because there is a lot more cholesterol getting into our blood from the pool in our gut than other people. (My apolipoprotein b is 107, 80th centile. I'll have an NMR next week. Im betting it'll be around 1200 to 1400)
There is no dietary modification that will fix this. And I'm not about to take drugs cos Im not worried about my heart. But ezetimibe would be my first choice if I did need a drug.
What I have learned from this is that I am not making excessive cholesterol in my liver. Saturated fats in the diet are thought to drive cholesterol synthesis. So I can ease up a little and have some cheese n milk n meat occasionally.
All fascinating.

Any comments on my fatty acid profile? What I think Ive learned is that I need to eat more olive oil, avo and nuts. And that Ive nailed the omega3/6 which I have learned from Julie is critical to my N vitamins being protective. This test was $70 and IMO well worth it. The absorption/synthesis test cost me around $300 but now I know.

The adiponectin was only $40 iirc and I'm very happy to see I am nicely in range. High adiponectin is associated with autoimmune thingies and low adiponectin with obesity, metabolic syndrome etc. This has been replicated in many studies easily found on the Google (Sorry on phone) Gundry views elevation above 16.5 as a marker for possible dietary induced (lectins nightshades) autoimmune inflammation. And obviously inflammation in the body is bad for the heart and brain. However I cannot find any other reasearcher who has also found this dietary link with these specific foods. But I can continue to eat my tomatoes happily as mine is normal and I dont have to cut out another food yay! So another very useful test.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Stavia, have you looked into thyroid hormone levels? It seems like thyroid hormones would have to be on the low side to support a 1200kcal/d calorie-restricted diet (CRON diets often average up around 1800kcal), which could lead to decreased LDL receptor expression, decreasing cholesterol synthesis and elevating serum cholesterol / intestinal absorption / apo-B.

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/pdf/10.1210/jc.2011-2532
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks Apod. I really appreciate you putting your keen mind to this. Yes I do them regularly and they are good. Off the top of my head my t4 is 18ish (my labs range is 10ish to 21ish ) and my TSH is around 2 (0.4 to 4, I know that off by heart lol)
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Stavia wrote:Yes I do them regularly and they are good. Off the top of my head my t4 is 18ish (my labs range is 10ish to 21ish ) and my TSH is around 2 (0.4 to 4, I know that off by heart lol)
Have you checked T3/TBG? If I recall, there are a few patterns associated with normal TSH/T4:
https://chriskresser.com/5-thyroid-patt ... lab-tests/

The fatty acid balance test looks pretty cool, I'd pick one up for $70 bucks if it was at my local labcorp. It's interesting they look at a <15:1 omega-6:omega-3 ratio as being low and recommend eating soybean oil / vegetable oils and margarine.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I can't do TBG in my country unless an endocrinologist authorises it. My T3 was good too, just can't remember the number. And Im antibody negative. I think Ive dodged the Ashkenazi autoimmune gene.
Your doctor can access the Berkley lab fatty acid balance. They fedex a cooler bin with icepacks and you fedex it back with the frozen packs after centrifuging the blood.