Need input into my lipids please

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Need input into my lipids please

Post by Stavia »

Silver, good question.
No it probably wasn't worth it at this stage cos I'm nowhere near drug therapy.
I was convinced I was a hyper-producer 'cos I had such a dramatic response to a statin and hence I thought if I was, I needed to slash saturated fat even more because saturated fats can drive LDL synthesis.
However in retrospect I should have just accepted DrD's opinion that most E4s are hyper-absorbers because my LDL has never shifted on a wide variety of diets and I have data going back 15 or 20 years.

What was worth it tho' was the fatty acid balance. It was less then $100 and I learned that I am having enough omega3's, my 3/6 balance is fine, my inflammation index is fine, but I'm not having enough MUFAs. Very useful and actionable information.

I'm plucking up the courage to have a CT coronary scan atm. I've found a machine here that has the same radiation dosage as a mammogram. Thinking very carefully....
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Stavia wrote:
I'm plucking up the courage to have a CT coronary scan atm. I've found a machine here that has the same radiation dosage as a mammogram. Thinking very carefully....
If I had to bet, I'd bet your calcium score is zero, given your family history. That being said, knowing for sure is worthwhile & I'd do it!
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

GeorgeN wrote:
Stavia wrote:
If I had to bet, I'd bet your calcium score is zero, given your family history. That being said, knowing for sure is worthwhile & I'd do it!
wanna fly over here and hold my hand?
I might see my favourite cardiologist off the record first and have a chat.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Stavia wrote: wanna fly over here and hold my hand?
I might see my favourite cardiologist off the record first and have a chat.
If it wasn't an awfully long flight, I'd do it! I just think its important. I've been trying to spread the word with my ApoE status unknown friends. Remember the movie we saw? Remember the business man in the film the "Widowmaker" who flew in to get his second scan. Turns out, he' commissioned the movie. {for those who didn't get to see it} Here is an article about him http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/hea ... 32314.html and a review http://denversdietdoctor.com/theres-no- ... ker-movie/

My bride & I just walked in and did it. You can too!
Tincup
E3,E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Just a funny side note.

My former gynecologist recommended I get a coronary scan 10 years ago at age 50. (He was the most progressive doctor I ever met. Looked at the whole woman, not just the reproductive parts.) Thought it would be good to get a baseline. And he said, oh by the way since your hubby is 50 too, he should have one. Well, we went to the place in Boulder that George talks about, and got our scans. Mine score was stellar. My hubs, on the other hand, was ushered in to see the staff doctor - 9 blockages including one in the widow maker. To this day he tells everyone that his life was saved by a gynecologist. :lol:

Stavia, we'd all love to come and hold your hand. I promise to do it virtually.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Just re-did my apolipoprotein b 'cos no NMR in my country and I'm a bit freaked over the reading in the US.
George I think you are right. My horrible LDL-p was stress.
My apoB is now 0.89g/L (range 0.49-1.03g/L) (actually was 1.07 a while ago. Shrug?). In your units it might be 89mg/dl.
Its just under 50th centile.
Julie, I've been eating heaps of fat. Half an avo daily, EVOO all over salads and in my soups , more than 2 nuts lol.

This appears to correlate with an LDL-p of ~1200-1300. Phew. I'll take that as an e4e4.
Can I do a teeny happy shuffle?
apob.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Stavia,
I give you official approval for a happy dance and I will join in, because I'm very happy for your good news.
Starfish
Last edited by Starfish77 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Stavia, I'm over the moon happy for you :D I'm dancing with you and Starfish!

I've actually heard from several members recently, who've also gotten excellent LDL-Ps. I hope more will share. IMO, we learn the most when members share lipid/diet interactions.

I'm feeling really hopeful for us as our AD prevention diets also appear to be really good for our hearts... Progress???
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Stavia, great news!!!
Tincup
E3,E4
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Stavia wrote:Can I do a teeny happy shuffle?
More than teeny, I'd say!

I need to get some of these new-fangled tests done. The part about looking around for a phlebotomist and shipping your blood on ice sounded complicated though. :lol: (Plus, I'm oddly scared about what I'll learn.)