Need input into my lipids please

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Yay!
I can now lay lipids to rest and tackle ketones
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Need input into my lipids please

Post by Tincup »

Stavia,

From your reference, looking at the slides, p 20 would indicate you have the lowest risk of stroke. P 21 shows a very low relative risk for vascular risk for your ratio.

Excellent!
Tincup
E3,E4
Rshircliff
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rshircliff »

Could anyone help determine my relative vascular risk from my current NMR test? I'm thinking high risk.

LDL PARTICLE NUMBER 2212
SUM TOTAL LDL-C 169
HDL-C 74
TRIGLYCERIDES 92
CHOLESTEROL 261
HDL-P 36.7
SMALL LDL PARTICLE # 1057
LDL SIZE 21
LP-IR SCORE <25
Glucose 108

A1C of 5.7
CRP of .7
Rshircliff
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rshircliff »

Here's a study on ketone esters entitled Ketone body therapy: from the ketogenic diet to the oral administration of ketone ester I haven't tackled it yet. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Rs - your risk has to be medium to high risk because your LDLp is in the highest range - but I see that your HbA1c is too high IMO. This means that you can possibly still lower your LDLp somewhat by improving your insulin resistance. Your triglycerides can also still improve which will reduce your LDLp a bit as well. Every little bit helps!
Your lipodologist will be able to give you a balllpark risk number. But remember it's only a number and cannot predict exactly how things will go for you. Its more useful to think in terms of low risk-medium risk-high risk.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Rshircliff wrote:Could anyone help determine my relative vascular risk from my current NMR test? I'm thinking high risk.

LDL PARTICLE NUMBER 2212
SUM TOTAL LDL-C 169
HDL-C 74
TRIGLYCERIDES 92
CHOLESTEROL 261
HDL-P 36.7
SMALL LDL PARTICLE # 1057
LDL SIZE 21
LP-IR SCORE <25
Glucose 108

A1C of 5.7
CRP of .7
The good news is both your HDL-C and HDL-P are high. Your LP-IR score is good. Your LDL size is large.

As Stavia says, working on A1C & fasting glucose would be appropriate. So here is what I've chosen to do with similar issues.

1) I follow Dr. Gundry's Matrix diet, with modifications for E4's. Basically all animal foods (including dairy) minimized with the exception of up to 4 omega 3 eggs/day, shell & white fish. Protein is adequate but not overdone. Saturated fat is minimized.

2) Using Gundry's list, look at Dr. Wahls' ideas for maximizing nutrient density. Her TED talk is inspiring http://terrywahls.com/minding-your-mito ... xiowacity/ http://terrywahls.com/ She does not pay attention to E4 status and her program may be too sat fat heavy.

Following this means:

a) eating real, not processed food
b) low carb, low saturated fat, adequate protein
c) maximizing nutrients

Is this optimal for E4's. I certainly don't know, but it should be helpful. Give this a try for a bit and retest and see if there are changes. Ideally you'd see A1C and fasting glucose drop as well as LDL-P.
Tincup
E3,E4
Rshircliff
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rshircliff »

Thank you so much for making the time to look at this for me. You've given me some good resources that I can look into. Thanks and congratulations :)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I have managed to get a Boston Heart Labs test through a tortuous process including a blood draw in a public park and begging the use of a centrifuge at Sunshine Labs. Not to mention various cross country Fedex situations. Plus a significant amount of greenbacks. Seriously resourceful.
I am gobsmacked that I am an overabsorber. And clever Julie realised I couldn't think on a statin cos my desmosterol isnt raised.
This was taken after a week of travelling. Couldnt get to EVOO and avocado hence low MUFA. Was eating macadamia nuts but no walnuts and probably not enough. But I think I've nailed the omega 3/6. I did the adiponectin cos I was worried about all the tomatoes I eat ala Gundry (mum ulcerative colitis).
Comments please?
Screenshot_2015-05-17-23-37-44.png
Screenshot_2015-05-17-23-38-46.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

First - not taking a low dose statin based on serum Desmesterol is a HUGE reach IMO. Worst case, you take the statin and then monitor your levels.
But, youre not an over producer, so something like Zetia would seem more appropriate....if you wanted to take that route. Whilst the theory that you produce more if you block absorption may hold true, the Zetia taken alone in my case still dropped my numbers.

But without evidence of disease, still comes down to whether you want to go that route.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks Ski. It was the first neurologist I saw who panicked and prescribed the statin. I truly don't believe I need one