Pity Party

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Pity Party

Post by Julie G »

So, here I am traveling across country to spend Thanksgiving with my (just turned 21 year old!) son, braving ice, snow, mountains, traffic....when BOOM, one of my 3 recently re-done fillings starts to act up. Lawd, I'm talking PAIN :twisted: My mast cells got all activated, my throat started tightening up, BP dropping- what a mess. I could barely open my jaw. I couldn't even think what to do, go to the ER for a tooth??? My smart hubs, while navigating awful conditions, kept his wits about him and phoned my dentist. Once he described my condition, they had powerful antibiotics and narcotics waiting for me at our destination... True LOVE for my man :D it's amazing how stupid I get when the pain gets ahead of me. So, I'm facing my first root canal when I get home :shock: Argh.

I read that both my antibiotic and narcotic are anticholergenic. I deal with one thing and subsequently UP my chances of Alzheimer's??? This is the reality of living with 4/4. Sigh. I'm religiously taking the antibiotics and only using tiny half doses of Vicodin to get by. At this point, I'm thinking, what the hell- I may as well drink heavily, eat a whole pumpkin pie, and just give in. :cry:

I know my problems are small, they just feel big now and then. I'm so grateful for my family...and every single one of you, for joining together in our APOe4 journey. Holiday blessings, peace, and lots of love to all.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Pity Party

Post by Ski »

Julie - you have to try and think about it this way. You are doing everything humanely possible to take precautions that are the most prudent. That being diet and exercise. You can't worry about all the theories of what may or may not contribute to ALZ. You will drive yourself insane. Take the antibiotics and enjoy your holiday! And some wine!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and hope that pain subsides!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

I thought your son moved back home??? Yay for your husband though; it's so nice to have a super supportive partner. I'm with Skibike...do what needs to be done for a few days. Take the pills and eat the pie or whatever you decide will make you comfortable and enjoy your time with your family. Your everyday discipline is amazing and a few anomaly days are really okay and negligible harm, if any, in the long run. Safe travels!!! :)
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Sorry to hear about the rough start to your Thanksgiving. We ALL have our pity party days. We ALL do what we have to do to get through the tough days.

I agree with SkiBike, you can't let the "what if" of the future get to you, because the only moment you really have is right now. Treat yourself with kindness and let your family wrap you in love, girlfriend.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

SusanJ wrote:We ALL have our pity party days. We ALL do what we have to do to get through the tough days.
Ditto to that!

And as for some pie and other fallings off the anti-AD wagon, I'm starting to worry less and less about that. There really is a lot of research going on, and it seems highly unlikely that none of it will pay off. Some of the really effective stuff, like stem cell replacement, might take ten or so years, but that's a decent framework for most of those reading this -- I very much hope for all reading this!

Some hope, a few years (but only a few!) farther out than the anti-Aβ trials we'll be getting results on in the next 1-3 years (itself a source of hope), is the following:

http://www.cirm.ca.gov/our-progress/pro ... -therapies

¡Un abrazo!
GB
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Hi Julie,
You are entitled to an occasional "pity party" but you are also entitled to a "good fortune party" for having such a great
supportive husband. I hope the antibiotics do their job and you have a fun day in spite of the tooth. I certainly want to thank all of you that helped set up the ApoE4 Forum and those who are posting. I am so glad we have the opportunity
to learn and share with each other.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thank you all so much for the kind words. The anti-Bs are working beautifully and I was blessed to spend the day with my family and eat normally. Nice, after all that pain :D

I have so many posts I want to respond to when I return home... In the meantime, I'm still feeling very thankful for my fellow E4s.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Wow, what a man...Can we clone him? Pity Party hit home as I am away from my family this Thanksgiving (by choice). I had a retinologist appointment and heard the words "eventually surgery" and went blank. Thus, my pity party...I feel your pain so to speak. Hope the AB kicked in and numb the apoe4 pain as well.