Reasons I tweak*

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Reasons I tweak*

Post by marthaNH »

Thanks, Susan, and Julie. Yes, Julie, I was very resistant to limiting the foods that were sending my blood sugar up. I'm still not 100% convinced that glucose levels should always trump other factors. Especially if insulin resistance is low and the higher numbers are transient. But sometimes the genetic situation calls for what may otherwise look like an over-correction, I think. Maybe. Anyway, if I am able to maintain a state of ketosis and still enjoy my food, then I am pretty sure I want to place my bet on it being a beneficial state for me.

I'm confused, though, about what I should do nutritionally to get back that higher-gear -- the more intense stair-climbing and intervals I was doing this time last year. I'll get around to figuring it out. Right now flat on my back after the 7-mile hike yesterday, which was a stretch -- I was predictably a little wound up overnight and will sleep like a rock tonight.

Best --

PS What I really meant by "serious things going on here" was "here on the forum" not "here at home" but wasn't sure whether I phrased it right. Thinking of you and others with more pressing concerns.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Reasons I tweak* -- recent results

Post by marthaNH »

Found that this old thread was still around, so thought I would add my most recent numbers for basic lipids (NY won't let me order my own advanced lipid testing, so that will have to wait until I am out of state). It really ought to be in Our Stories, but I don't know how to move it.

Total 209; HDL 90; LDL-C 109; Trig 50; and calculated sdLDL 10. HbA1c 5.0.

So that is one of the best outcomes of the difficult glucose/lipids balancing act that I have managed to get. And of course these numbers represent a huge improvement over my pre-awakening numbers. My most recent NMR gave me <1000 LDL-P at a slightly higher (118) LDL-C. So I assume I am still in that ballpark. But that was a couple of years ago, before they changed the law here.

As background, I am one of those 3/4s whose LDL goes sky high when I eat much saturated fat. I realize not everybody worries about that, but family history, hypertension, and the presence of some plaque already make me cautious. So I limit it to eggs plus whatever can't be avoided in the nuts, avocado, and olive oil that are part of a higher-fat (50% ish), lower carb (average 50-some grams net) diet of about 1100 to 1350 total daily calories. No dairy fat, not much meat other than chicken and fish. No coconut oil, though I do love it. That averages out to about 7 or 8% of calories, 9 or 10% when I eat at maintenance levels. I have also been running a steady calorie deficit because I was losing weight, which seems to make it easier to hit pretty numbers than when I am maintaining (which allows 1400+ calories). Doing that, eating a lot of vegetables and taking most of the Bredesen protocol supplements, plus some soluble fiber most days, doing a little bit of strength training, a lot of longer walks and one or two walk/jog interval sessions a week. I had let my weight creep up to the point I really needed to drop ten or twelve pounds, and once I got in the groove again that went pretty well. Glad it is done. I think dieting can be tough on my body. It's harder to sleep, and seems to send blood pressure up, especially when I drink really strong black coffee toward the end of extended fasts! Bad idea! So will vow to just keep tracking and stay on the maintenance path. I can't control everything, but if I pay attention I can mostly control this.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: Reasons I tweak* -- recent results

Post by MarcR »

marthaNH wrote:It really ought to be in Our Stories, but I don't know how to move it.
Done! It's good to see you posting again - I'm glad you're doing well.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Thanks, Marc, It's good to see you, too!
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Andru »

Julie G wrote:As a CONSTANT tweaker I appreciate the thread, Martha :D

I'm currently settled on no-fat, plain, Lifeway kefir with oodles of live active cultures. It's supposedly made from A2 cows that are grass fed, protein- 11 grams, sugar- 12 grams, SFA- 0 grams, and over 300mg of calcium.

Ask me tomorrow and I may have switched by then.
Hey Julie, I also love Lifeway kefir!

How do we know it's made from A2 cows though? I haven't been able to find any sources on this.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Great question, Andru. It used to be :( . It was on their labeling at the time I posted this. Sadly, it’s since been removed leading me to believe that they’ve switched to A1 cows. If anyone knows of any true A2 sources, I’d love to know.
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Andru »

Julie G wrote:Great question, Andru. It used to be :( . It was on their labeling at the time I posted this. Sadly, it’s since been removed leading me to believe that they’ve switched to A1 cows. If anyone knows of any true A2 sources, I’d love to know.
This is what I feared, so I got some goat milk kefir last night instead! Redwood Hill Farms makes a good one, you can find products near you here: http://redwoodhill.com/store-finder/
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks, Andru. I've largely given up on dairy, but still make the exception for the fermented stuff. Redwood Hills Farms is excellent... when I can find it. Your search link claims that a local health food store ned me has some products. I'll check it out :D
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Here in CO, you can find Redwood Hills Farms at both Whole Foods & Sprouts.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Btw.. Whole Foods by me now has Buf mozzarella made with real water buffalo milk. Had it on Portobello mushrooms with baby spinach and spices tonight. Awesome!!!

Julie I'm like you.... don't do much dairy, but make sure it's not anything with A1 enzymes when I do.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"